Author Topic: Toe Punch  (Read 9163 times)

Christina King

Toe Punch
« on: March 07, 2015, 01:40:20 PM »
Looking for your input and experiences with toe punches... Where to get them, which brand works better and any other info you think a newbie would want to know! Thanks!
Chris
Silvers make my Heart beat faster ~~~

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Toe Punch
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 02:20:35 PM »
All the ones I have owned look pretty much the same, and you can get them from pretty much any poultry supply company.   Here is one source from the company I do business with:   https://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=469c8d58407ca307c61de78f0ecc43e7&keyword=toe+punch

They can be tricky to use on bantams, because there is not much of a skin flap between the toes to start with.   Some have gone to a slit in the skin between the toes instead of a round hole.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 02:38:03 PM »
Some have gone to a slit in the skin between the toes instead of a round hole.
That is what I do.

I buy them from Cutler Supply.  These are $4 each and nothing special, but they do the job.

Christina King

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 02:38:29 PM »
Thanks Mike,
I have see two different designs. The smaller one and the larger one that looks like a fingernail clipper style. if i choose to slit instead of punch, any suggestions on what to use for that?

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 04:57:57 PM »
I don't slit, but if I did I would probably use a sterile razor blade.    John?  What do you use?
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 07:13:39 PM »
John?  What do you use?
The punch pictured above.  Instead of punching a hole inboard in the web, I punch thru so that it opens the web.

Christina King

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 01:13:09 AM »
Thank you both, John and Mike. I appreciate your help!

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 08:54:18 PM »
There use to be a printable form with all the variation of toe punch marks too for record keeping. Was it you John that posted it before? I remember printing some off before and I still use them they are pretty handy. Just make sure the chad is removed Chris and keep an eye on them for the first couple days. To make sure they don't close up. I always keep them on paper towel or wire until they heal.
S.E. Michigan

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 09:53:18 PM »

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 10:30:47 AM »
Yes that is the one 😃
S.E. Michigan

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 01:28:41 PM »
Oh dear, I'm behind the times because I had no idea there was a new improved toe punch with a lever!!!

Thanks for providing the link that enlightened me Mike.  :D I'm all excited and off to order one now!  8)
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 05:25:15 AM »
I use the one John pictured and like it because I can use my fingernail to scrape off the chad while I punch.  I like the hole as I can often see who a bird is without having to pick it up.  Ya do wanna get the punch back deep enough to get a hole and not wind up at the edge of the web.  I still sometimes do that when I'm in a hurry or something and it's a pain because I have at times had a hard time figuring out what # of bird it is.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 08:46:22 PM »
You mentioned that you slit the webbing on the splits. I tried to see what that looked like and couldn't see it readily...Do you have any pics of what the slit looks like when they are adults ?
Dennis

Here are a couple photos to compare.  Some slits weren't made as deep into the webs as others and may be a little difficult to notice.

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »
On my little bantams I ended up using a small stainless steel surgical scissor to just clip the web. Along with the chart, makes so easy to make sure you know who is who

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 01:55:14 PM »
Oh dear, I'm behind the times because I had no idea there was a new improved toe punch with a lever!!!
Plenty are here on eBay.  http://tinyurl.com/z4e36mk