Author Topic: E-locus  (Read 14358 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
E-locus
« on: March 08, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »
This subject is covered in my Ameraucana Chickens book.

John W Blehm
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 10:07:47 AM by John W Blehm »

Stan Alder

• Associate
Re: E-locus
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 10:40:41 AM »
In the link you provided for chick down color, it shows that ER chicks are not as black as the E chicks....looks like the ones with the yellow faces are the ER????
Is that correct??

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:53:48 AM »
Stan, black and brown red chick down color is all over the board - depending on modifying genes.   Unless you are familiar with a particular line you can't really tell one from another most of the time.   Blacks do tend to have more white/yellow in their down than brown reds though.   Look at the chick pictures I posted yesterday.   Those are brown reds. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 10:48:42 PM »
That is interesting and would explain a lot.   What does SNP stand for?
Mike Gilbert

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 10:41:18 PM »
I noted the way they wrote the gene is different from what I'm used to and "N" for wildtype was new to me.  I found out the "N" stands for "normal" and the newer way of designating the symbols or names in Nomenclature for naming loci, alleles, linkage groups and chromosomes to be used in poultry genome publications and databases.

Makes reading the Jeffrey's book on Bantam Genetics confusing...speaking of which, that's one that the ABA really should reprint.  It goes for $100.00 these days ...used.

Sue Paolini

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 08:36:22 AM »
I noted the way they wrote the gene is different from what I'm used to and "N" for wildtype was new to me.  I found out the "N" stands for "normal" and the newer way of designating the symbols or names in Nomenclature for naming loci, alleles, linkage groups and chromosomes to be used in poultry genome publications and databases.

Makes reading the Jeffrey's book on Bantam Genetics confusing...speaking of which, that's one that the ABA really should reprint.  It goes for $100.00 these days ...used.Sue Paolini

I checked the ABA Store and found Jeffrey's book is still available for $30, probably in soft cover.  Here is the link:   http://www.bantamclub.com/aba/index.php/store/books/bantam-chickens
Mike Gilbert

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 11:01:28 PM »
Ichecked the ABA Store and found Jeffrey's book is still available for $30, probably in soft cover.  Here is the link:   http://www.bantamclub.com/aba/index.php/store/books/bantam-chickens

thank you Mike.  Believe it or not I have checked there, not once but several times, and always seemed to have missed it so I 'm glad it showed up for you.  FWIW, several have told me that they used that in tandem with the http://chickencolours.com/ book.

thanks again Sue Paolini
NePA

Pedro Nunes Marques

• Associate
  • Ameraucana Brasil
    • Criatório Amerucana Brasil
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 07:11:55 AM »
Very good, I was looking for this information

Thank you all!!

Barbara Campbell

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 06:17:47 PM »
The links only go to pages advertising fiber optics ???