Author Topic: hatchery birds  (Read 3129 times)

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
hatchery birds
« on: April 20, 2016, 08:19:30 PM »
Is there  any hatchery that you would recommend? for Ameraucanas or any breed?

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: hatchery birds
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 11:26:44 PM »
I always recommend breeders for breeds of chickens and commercial hatcheries for egg laying and meat chicken hybrids.

Lance Capozella

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 08:36:50 PM »
I always seek birds as local as I can.  For ameraucanas I would go to the breeders list and try one closest to you (kentucky?) so you can physically show up and see what you are buying or from a well known breeder that will ship.  Is that considered a "plug" John?  Looking at your order form right now.

For just eggs and meat birds I started with just rural king birds.  Nothing wrong with filling egg cartons.  I have fun with my easter egger breeding just to see what pops up.  I mix in my cull AM's with the EE's.  It's just for fun and I feel like I'm utilizing my culls better that way.   

I guess it depends really on what your plan is.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 09:01:54 PM »
I've bought meat birds from commercial hatcheries and even Orpington and Australorp pullets decades ago used to create some LF varieties of Ameraucanas.  Never say never and there are exceptions to every rule need to be repeated from time to time.  The other day someone from Alaska was inquiring about Chantecler chicks and I recommended a commercial hatchery for LF whites, knowing some of their flock came from a very reputable breeder friend and me.  I know others with white Chanteclers, but I don't personally know of any that would ship chicks to Alaska.
Commercial hatcheries have their place and a few of them sell my next boxes.  At the same time I and many others in this club have had a real problem with those that continue to misrepresent Easter Eggers as Ameraucanas.  It is wrong and they need to change.  I believe that now that at least a couple of them are offering real Ameraucanas it will help bring about more change quicker. 
Still for anyone looking for "exhibition" poultry, buying birds from winning breeders/exhibitors is the best way to go.

Lance Capozella

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 02:47:11 PM »
That is always a source of confusion from people that don't know chickens.  They relate both ameraucanas and easter eggers as the same thing because the local feed store labels them that way.  I always have to explain that my "ameraucanas" are true pure breed AM's and chicks at places like rural king are EE's.  Annoying.  It's nothing more than a sale promotional lie.  It would be like selling toads and say they are bull frogs because they both hop.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 04:59:45 PM »
I always seek birds as local as I can.  For ameraucanas I would go to the breeders list and try one closest to you (kentucky?) so you can physically show up and see what you are buying or from a well known breeder that will ship.

Good point Lance, but alas not everyone will let you even from a distance, see the flock, much less the parents.  I have heard from some who went to buy chicks that they saw on Facebook only to discover that the parents shown there were not the same as what the breeding stock is; imagine their delight.  One breeder I called in Pennsy, where I reside, said he would not even meet me at a local McDonalds for pickup.  I had to ship.  That bothered me so much, I tore up the order.

Sue Paolini
NePA

Lance Capozella

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 11:51:10 PM »
I got my start from a Myrna Hall off the breeders list here that was about 1 1/2hr away.  She allowed me to come see the birds, gave advise, and allowed me to nose around for ideas of how to set up to breed.  Very helpful and a sweet lady.

Your from Kentucky?  How about Jim Broaddus, bowlinggreen ky?  I have never dealt with him but he is on my list of "close" to my area breeders.  Not sure who would be closest to you.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 12:03:02 AM »

You're from Kentucky?  How about Jim Broaddus, bowling Green ky?
No, that was quote...I'm in Pennsylvania.  Jim has an ad here for people to help him out with his birds.  If you are interested in getting some new blood Lance, he may be the ticket though that was a few months back so I don't know if he has any left...Still it never hurts to make contact.

Sue Paolini
northeastern Pennsylvania
NePA

Lance Capozella

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 12:13:10 AM »
oh ok sorry your location said the commonwealth.  I was thinking ky.   

I only have a handful of birds right now and am just getting started.  I have birds from the Paul Smith and John Blehm lines.  Probably not a good idea to throw more variables in the mix right now but I may look to him in the future. 

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 12:32:29 AM by Lance Capozella »