Author Topic: New info from the field of genetics  (Read 3191 times)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
New info from the field of genetics
« on: June 29, 2016, 09:09:51 AM »
http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=115862&gonew=1#UNREAD

Mb Muff/Beard allele DNA sequenced:
An interesting new study on the Mb muff/beard mutation. They found the Mb DNA sequence. There were 3 duplications & 2 translocations, 7 genes annotated, although they determined that the effect on the HOXB8 gene is causal to the Muff/beard phenotype. They first determined the Mb sequence in some muff/beard Chinese breeds & then tested some European Mb breeds (Dutch Polish, Dutch Owl, Brabanter) & found the same sequence.

Guo Y, Gu X, Sheng Z, et al. 2016.
A Complex Structural Variation on Chromosome 27 Leads to the Ectopic Expression of HOXB8 and the Muffs and Beard Phenotype in Chickens.
Leeb T, ed. PLoS Genetics. 2016;12(6):e1006071. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1006071.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4890787/

Note, Mb was found on Chromosome 27. No other common chicken mutations have been noted on Chromosome 27.

My favorite definition of science:   "Thinking God's thoughts after Him." 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:45:24 AM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: New info from the field of genetics
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 09:49:45 AM »
The last sentence is the most interesting to me...
No other common chicken mutations have been noted on Chromosome 27.
We always hear that pea comb (P) and blue egg shell (O) are closely linked because the genes share the same chromosome and of other linkages for the same reason, but muff/beard is out there on its own.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 11:10:34 AM »
The last sentence is the most interesting to me...
No other common chicken mutations have been noted on Chromosome 27.
We always hear that pea comb (P) and blue egg shell (O) are closely linked because the genes share the same chromosome and of other linkages for the same reason, but muff/beard is out there on its own.

I noticed that too.   I'm betting it is a very short strand.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 04:12:50 PM »
i wouldn't be surprised that there are revisions to these findings.  It's rather preliminary and I didn't see any numeration of the birds studied.