Author Topic: Silvers  (Read 1281 times)

Clarence Vance

Silvers
« on: February 13, 2017, 05:50:49 PM »
I finally got my Christmas gift!   My son and daughter in law purchased a pair and trio of Bantam Silvers for me from Beth Curan.   Also thank you Beth for the pullet you gave me!
So that makes us set up pretty good for silvers this year.   
  Thanks again to Beth,  I really like them.   When I get the incubator full, I will have Jeff to start selling eggs for me.         
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 06:30:53 PM by John W Blehm »

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Silvers
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 06:33:19 PM »
You are a lucky man.  From some inquiries I've had it sounds like bantam silvers are scarce. 

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 08:44:26 PM »
You are very welcome- enjoy! I hope they do well for you.

John, these are from the silver bantams Walker got from you a few years ago.

Beth Curran

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 09:38:04 PM »
You are a lucky man.  From some inquiries I've had it sounds like bantam silvers are scarce.

john, I had my chance to see some in person. And from what i saw in person and pictures. They dont seem to have good combs. Is this due to a particular line or the variety in general?

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 10:21:24 AM »
john, I had my chance to see some in person. And from what i saw in person and pictures. They dont seem to have good combs. Is this due to a particular line or the variety in general?

I think it is the variety in general.  Some lines may be better than others when it comes to combs and other traits, but I haven't seen any with Ameraucana type as good overall as the other varieties.  Bantam silvers still look too gamey and I've tried outcrosses to try to make improvements.  With outcrosses some traits improve, but sometimes others get worse so it take time. 
I believe an unwanted gene(s) makes the center ridge of the bantam silver's comb much bigger than it should be and that gene needs to be bred out. 
Also check out this topic... http://ameraucanaalliance.org/forum/index.php?topic=220.0