Author Topic: Are Ameraucana heritage?  (Read 2003 times)

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Are Ameraucana heritage?
« on: March 03, 2016, 02:28:08 PM »
This was posted on the APA site on FB by Doris Robinson, their Youth coordinator.

http://www.hobbypoultry.com/the-good-shepherd-poultry-ranch/

In short, the answer is NO.

Best Regards, Brownie.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Are Ameraucana heritage?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 03:13:16 PM »
I agree that according to The Livestock Conservancy definition you are right.
Just as some don't agree with our club's definition of an Easter Egger, I don't completely agree with the Livestock Conservancy.
http://fowlstuff.com/FFAQ.html#five
...Although these breeds are relatively new, as compared to some others, I consider them as "Heritage" breeds, due to the history of their development, their unique genetic traits, their ability to reproduce without artificial insemination and the fact that they are not only bred to a "standard" but also do well in the barnyard or backyard.  Some talk of "Heirloom" breeds of chickens, but heirloom refers to plants not animals...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:47:05 PM by John W Blehm »

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Are Ameraucana heritage?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 04:59:25 PM »
Anything like that is arbitrary and subject to interpretation.   I personally don't think any chicken is "heritage" unless your own ancestors raised them.   Gary Underwood, for example, would have heritage Rhode Island Reds since his dad was raising them since the 1920's.   My Ameraucanas are not "heritage" because my immediate ancestors wanted nothing to do with poultry and would not have known what an Ameraucana was in their day. 
So those birds many folks are calling "heritage" are in my mind just old breeds.   It is an overused term.  Of course that is just one person's opinion. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:52:24 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13