Author Topic: Splash without spots??  (Read 4981 times)

The Malcolms

• Associate
Splash without spots??
« on: August 16, 2015, 12:40:21 PM »
We set up a blue to blue bantam breeding pen this year.  Six hens and 1 cock.  We got a few blues but mostly black and splash.  Out of 6 chicks that looked to have splash down 4 of them are feathering in various shades of bluish white without any splashes.  Might they get splashes at their second chick molt?  If they stay solid, do they have any value as breeders?  We are trying to grow our blue and splash genetic diversity but we do not want to keep any free loaders.  The "charity case" pen is full for now...🐔🐔

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Splash without spots??
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 01:40:41 PM »
Is there any chance these blues could also be carrying the recessive lavender (lav) gene?
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

The Malcolms

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 02:15:56 PM »
Is there any chance these blues could also be carrying the recessive lavender (lav) gene?

I do not know the answer to that.  I can say that compared to our lavenders the "splash less" chicks are white-ish or blue-ish not lavender, if that helps.  We know the parents we used this year are not related closer than 3 generations because we bred our original birds in 2 different crosses and then bred those offspring to another male not involved in the first 2 crosses.
PS no chance for a stray male to enter into this equation either...

We could use a few more lavenders...  Should we cross them on one of our lavender cocks to see what happens?

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 06:38:50 PM »
I would say definitely do not breed to lavender, it being recessive could haunt you for years. My experience has been juvenile molt does not change them that much. I would be wondering if they might just be a light blue instead of splash?? All my splash are definite white with Blue and Black splash marks. The really nice ones have lacing in some feathers. Oh I always liked the ones with black in them but last year the judge told me they should be Blue splashes not Black?? But that's another topic 😃 any pictures would help.
S.E. Michigan

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 01:26:54 AM »
I think using splash with no splash pattern can create a fairly even shaded blue bird, if bred to black.

Am I wrong? Anyone

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 12:57:25 PM »
I personally look for splash birds that show lacing in a few feathers. To me this makes me believe they would carry the proper genes to produce good lacing in there progeny. I may be wrong with this thinking and Mike would be the expert in this. I also prefer a nice evenly colored splash over the more white ones. Again this is just my personal preference, being careful not to keep the ones with a lot of Black feathers. Preferring ones with Blue colored feathers instead.
S.E. Michigan

Christina King

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 12:20:18 PM »
Since there is no SOP for Splash at this time, does any breed have one with an SOP to go by??  I don't have any "purebred" Splash at the moment, and tend to prefer the bolder with some Black in it. Very appealing to my eyes. Just curious, as I may breed some Splash in the future.
Silvers make my Heart beat faster ~~~

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 01:40:37 PM »
There are several breeds with the splash variety recognized in the standards now.   We could just refer to one of them.  It's also less expensive than coming up with a new color description I believe..
Mike Gilbert

Christina King

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 01:10:42 AM »
I will look in the SOP for some splash descriptions, thank you!
Silvers make my Heart beat faster ~~~

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 10:00:38 AM »
Some of these breeds have been recognized in splash after the last Standard (2010) came out.   You might have to check the APA website.  Modern Game and Bearded Silkie are two breeds that come to mind that are recognized in splash.   There is a movement afoot to get Jersey Giant (large fowl) recognized in splash also.   One of the Giant proponents is willing to help get Ameraucanas recognized in splash if some of us agree to raise up some Splash Giants and show them at a qualifying meet.   He would furnish free chicks for that purpose.   The five people who show at the qualifying  meets do not have to be the save five providing the five year certification.  He would also help with the Lavender Ameraucana recognition process as he has raised them far more than five years.  It's Bob Rennolet, one of our A.A. members, and he has traveled to both coasts from South Dakota to show at large meets.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:11:25 AM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 05:59:29 PM »
It's a pity Bob is out with a broken femur for the next months though.  I guess we will have to wait until late Spring to jump on that bandwagon.  I definitely wish him a safe and speedy recovery.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 09:35:22 AM »
Sue, Bob may be shipping chicks soon, as he hired three teens to do the work.   If there is anything you are looking for in the way of chicks you might check with him.
Mike Gilbert

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 11:20:53 PM »
I did yesterday.  I was told to check back in a month.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 09:19:51 AM »
I don't think Whites take as long to raise to be ready to show because they are all one color.  So if you get some by the end of February or so they could be ready to show by the time of our national meet this year.
Mike Gilbert

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 01:29:11 PM »
That's good to hear.  Thanks.