Author Topic: Lavender?  (Read 2229 times)

Harry Shaffer

• Associate
Lavender?
« on: March 01, 2016, 01:56:11 PM »
I was curious what APA would call my Blue Lavender Cockerel?   Would they require me to call is Blue Self Blue which would be sooooo confusing and make no sense what so ever.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:04:49 PM by Harry Shaffer »

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Lavender?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 05:10:50 PM »
They don't think about tomorrow...just yesterday.  ;)
Blue Self Blue...where would we be without a sense of humor?

Harry Shaffer

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 03:23:42 PM »
John, I know you created the LAVENDER bantams.  I also know you were working on the LF LAVENDERS about the similar time 10 years ago as I was doing the same with a total different strain.  I am hoping this year possibly to show at the Ohio Nationals with my LF Lavenders but they will probably be DQ because if I do I will enter them as Lavenders and not Self-BLues.  I did a lot of work on my birds over the 10 years and am happy with the birds I have this year after loosing some killer stock about 5 years ago only to loose them to a fox.  Luckily I still had a B pen at that time to rebuild.  I will not let my work go in vain only to hustle money to get a name on them that is not scientifically correct.  In fact I have decided not to sell anything this year and dispatch everything I will not keep for breeding for next season.  John your birds look nice and I am happy with what I have but I have seen some birds on the internet that are not even worthy to breed or need many years to correct all the problems they posses. 

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 04:33:27 PM »
Michael Muenks worked with me to create the bantams. 
I understand your frustration with the self blue title, but it is still in the early stages of recognition.  They can't disqualify lavender Ameraucanas and even if and when they are officially recognized as self blue the most they can do it try to change the coop cards from "lavender" to "self blue".  I won't allow my lavenders to compete under a different name, so as I've said before I'll pull them from the show coops if a judge or show management tampers with the "lavender" variety name they are entered under.
When you mention the Columbus show it brings back feelings of frustration also, so that is the one show I won't go back to.  Why not drive a few more miles and bring a bunch of lavenders to show in Lebanon, IN, at our Ameraucana National Meet?  Last year "lavender" was largest variety class of bantam Ameraucanas (yes, beating every recognized variety!) and it was only second to black in the LF Ameraucana class.  After 30 some years it would be great to meet you in person!

Harry Shaffer

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 06:51:03 PM »
John,  I believe I will have ride to the Ohio National with the fellow that bought my Orpingtons when I was sick.  Shame my father moved from around lafayette, In a few years ago that would have been easier for me to show there.  I will look to see when the Lebanon show is coming up and see if I have something to show then since I trim all my birds for breeding season and could only show young birds if they will be mature enough or if the breeders are thru their molt.