Author Topic: ISO Blue LF Cockerel  (Read 304 times)

Jim Wise

ISO Blue LF Cockerel
« on: October 19, 2023, 01:27:05 PM »
Hi,

My name is Jim Wise and I'm in central Florida. I am brand new to ameraucanas. I purchased some straight run chicks from two different places this summer. Both advertised as BBS. The 10 I purchased from place 1 were all splash except for one blue cockerel.

I purchased 7 more straight run from another source. These were all black or splash except one. He turned out to be a French Blue Copper Maran cockerel so I immediately became suspicious of the others. She claimed that it was just a mixup in her incubator, but that the rest were all good. When I inquired about the parents/lineage of the birds, she finally admitted that they weren't hers but hatched for a friend and only "pet quality".

At this time I only have 2 of those that I kept, a black cockerel and a black pullet. The black cockerel is beautiful but has major silver/gold leakage. All of the advice I have been given regarding him is "do not breed with him".

Unfortunately an owl got my blue cockerel just before dark and that has now wrecked my breeding plans for spring. I've installed netting over my chicken "yard" so that's fixed now.

Long story long, I'd love to get a nice blue cockerel to move forward with. I'm not planning on showing, so if he's someone's 2nd or 3rd choice that's fine with me. I just don't want to start off on a terrible footing with a rooster of suspect lineage.

Thank you for your patience and consideration.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: ISO Blue LF Cockerel
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 05:34:49 PM »
I don't know how someone could have been mixed up about the eggs, since Marans' eggs are dark brown and Ameraucanas are bluish.  If you are able to attend the Alliance's national meet at Knoxville, TN, I'm pretty sure there will be some for sale in what you are looking for.   Shipping has gotten extremely expensive, and the USPS is no longer trustworthy.  It recently took an extra six days for me to receive an express mail package from Missouri (I'm in Wisconsin).    Good luck with your search!
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Jim Wise

Re: ISO Blue LF Cockerel
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 10:17:06 AM »
I don't know how someone could have been mixed up about the eggs, since Marans' eggs are dark brown and Ameraucanas are bluish.  If you are able to attend the Alliance's national meet at Knoxville, TN, I'm pretty sure there will be some for sale in what you are looking for.   Shipping has gotten extremely expensive, and the USPS is no longer trustworthy.  It recently took an extra six days for me to receive an express mail package from Missouri (I'm in Wisconsin).    Good luck with your search!

Thank you!

I should clarify, the one maran cockerel is a mix, he just shows really strong on the maran side. I never saw the eggs, so she could have been straight up lying. I think she just got mixed up. She was older and had a ton of different breeds (some really rare ones) that she breeds small amounts of.

I have learned a ton since then regarding splits in blacks, leakage, etc.

I didn't know what I didn't know lol.

I may try and get one from the original place.