Author Topic: LF Brown Red chicks  (Read 10931 times)

Holly Frosch

Re: LF Brown Red chicks
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 03:06:33 PM »
YAY! We had more chicks hatch last Friday:

I think we're getting things sorted out a bit - this is our most consistent batch yet. No single combs or off-color. A few are out of a black, so we'll have to be careful there. So glad to have these guys!

Luke's had help with this project this year with some custom incubation. We were switching to hatching on our own when we had a malfunction yesterday - 10 days in. I went to check on them and things didn't quite smell right - looked at the digital thermometer and it said -188.8. Looked at the alcohol thermometer and started to get queezy as I saw the red line somewhere past 160. We had just candled the night before and had 55 in there going strong. Not a great Mother's Day.  :'( Will troubleshoot later this week and see if we can't try again. Temp and humidity were rock solid for two weeks with this one, but might have to save up for a better incubator. We've got a hen from last year's hatch that's laying a nice color egg and want to see if we can't get some more like her. :)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 05:40:49 PM »
YAY! We had more chicks hatch last Friday:

I think we're getting things sorted out a bit - this is our most consistent batch yet. No single combs or off-color. A few are out of a black, so we'll have to be careful there. So glad to have these guys!

So what if anything was done differently than before?   Different male maybe?   Sorry about your incubator!
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Holly Frosch

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 10:40:19 AM »
So what if anything was done differently than before?   Different male maybe?   Sorry about your incubator!

I think we've figured out who is passing what and are pairing accordingly. Offspring should at least maintain a semblance of phenotype - hoping for a few that are decent. We will limit further hatches (if we're able?!) this year to the brown red that's laying a nice, blue egg (she's small and overmelanized, but seems to be homo for ER and pea comb) and a black hen we're working with. (Think I can see the difference between E/eb and E/ER in chick down, but we'll see how that pans out.)

Also, we've intentionally hatched a few of the recessive e locus chicks via father to daughter matings (looking for a male). Have to wait for feathering out, but one of them looks to be barred. HA! Haven't even begun to study how patterns work.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:42:08 AM by Holly Frosch »

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 06:21:20 PM »
how did they turn out Mike?

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2016, 04:31:47 PM »

The posts were from a year and a half ago, but I believe they mostly turned out OK.   With brown reds there are always some pullets that are too black and some that are to over-colored in the red portions.   The roosters are pretty consistent except for better or worse breast lacing. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 06:04:39 PM »

The posts were from a year and a half ago, but I believe they mostly turned out OK.   With brown reds there are always some pullets that are too black and some that are to over-colored in the red portions.   

yes I realize that the posts were old, that's why I figured by now everyone know how it turned out.  I always like to see followup.  thanks.