Author Topic: Silver Spangled Ameraucana Project  (Read 11083 times)

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Re: Silver Spangled Ameraucana Project
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 09:09:39 PM »
It is not the tail that is eb, the entire bird is based on eb.      If you don't believe that is the case, then what is your explanation for the black tail?
  I've read it is ER.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 09:27:46 PM »
What do chickens and sausages have to do with one another other than its summertime?
For whatever reason they accepted silver spangled Hamburgs with spangled tails, but golden spangled without.  My friend, Ed Linton, has bred SS Hamburgs most of his life and started working on golden spangled several years ago.  Because of some of the crosses involved he had both spangled and black tailed bantams. 
Ed had spangled Goldens?

If you mean even the tails were spangled, yes.  You can breed silver or golden spangled either way...with black tails or spangled tails by basing them on different E-locus genes.  Breeders only use ER for silver and eb for golden Hamburgs, in North American, so the tail colors/patterns agree with the Standard.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2016, 07:46:18 PM »
Mike,  he has a black tail and muffs and beards like a Thuringer

MY 2014 Bantam Standard finally showed up today.  I got the softcover, I like that better, and there on pg. 35 is THURINGER as an inactive but eligible breed.  Never heard of a thuringer chicken.  I honestly thought you were talking about the sausage.  If you want the standard you can email Karen Unrath at bantamClub@gmail.com for the price.  She is pretty good about responding.

In the meantime I found several sites, all German, that had shots.  Here's just one of them
http://www.ourchicken.com/rassenazzwerg/thuering-zbart3.htm