Author Topic: buff chick  (Read 4157 times)

Stan Alder

• Associate
buff chick
« on: March 31, 2016, 06:55:26 PM »
I hatched  two chicks with this pattern out of buff to buff breeding...any ideas?...

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: buff chick
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 07:02:13 PM »
Does either of both parents show any black in their tails or wings?
Also check the parents undercolor and see if it is buff all the way to the skin along with the feather shaft.
Large fowl or bantam?

Harry Shaffer

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 07:09:05 PM »
Stan, remember wheaten is recessive, looks like someone may have used them at one time.  I don.t breed buffs was told the ones with dark spots on their heads at day old have partridge and the ones that don;t have wheaten blood in them.  You should ask the fellow that wrote the book on buffs.  Dan Honour published information and was told it was available on the internet.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:16:10 PM by Harry Shaffer »

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 09:46:59 PM »

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 10:07:47 PM »
Try here.

http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/Buff-Coloration.pdf

It contains quotes from me on page 266 and Mike on page 267.  It sounds like I was answering an email and don't now how it ended up in there.

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 10:45:43 PM »
They both have a black spot on there head...I'm not positive that there isn't wheaten behind them, but pullet and cockerel have buff feather shafting and buff under color...The cockerel is dark buff and there is a dark buff pullet in the pen.. I was thinking that I might try to use them for a red line, bit the 'chipmunk' and pattern surprised me..the older one seems to be turning out to look like the brown EE color I see so much of with what looks like columbian??? They are LF, and I don't see any black...other than being a little on the dark buff side, they appear to be normal buff..
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:48:00 PM by Stan Alder »

Harry Shaffer

• Associate
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 09:21:03 AM »
Great information from Dan Honour. 

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 10:12:10 AM »
If these were some of the first you hatched this year and haven't had more since, I would guess a silver male was with one or more of the buff gals and left his seed before a buff male had a chance to and before eggs were collected for hatching.  The "chipmunk" pattern you mention is a giveaway that there was a fence jumper, as they say. ;)  Buff to buff should produce buff. 

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 05:16:48 PM »
I'm still getting a few of these odd colored buffs. Some have a very light, but distinctive chipmunk strip, and some have broken stripes...this is a pic of the chick posted earlier...I'm thinking she is maybe a single dilute and liking her for a red project??