Author Topic: Country Extra magazine's top 5 chicken breeds  (Read 869 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Country Extra magazine's top 5 chicken breeds
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:49:47 PM »
I don't remember all of the other 4, but Ameraucana was in their list of top 5 or recommended breeds.  A couple months ago someone from Country Extra magazine asked for my input for the chicken list they were working on and sent a complimentary March issue to me that featured 5 breeds of chickens on pages 20-21.  I'm not into taking time to read magazines, put noticed many very nice photos and scanned the sketch of an Ameraucana before gifting the magazine to my cousin and his wife when they were here.  The info on the breeds mentioned wasn't in depth, but Ameraucanas did get name mention and it was positive and free promotion for our breed.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:52:08 PM by John W Blehm »

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Country Extra magazine's top 5 chicken breeds
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 11:28:10 PM »
Awesome, not to sound spiteful, I especially enjoyed there recognition of our Lavender variety  ;D
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Country Extra magazine's top 5 chicken breeds
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 10:12:06 AM »
Awesome, not to sound spiteful, I especially enjoyed there recognition of our Lavender variety  ;D

Yes and when you think about it lavender has been accepted by fanciers and that can't be denied.  The APA/ABA officially accept varieties, but that doesn't stop the public from recognizing what they like and want.  People contacting me for Ameraucanas often want lavenders.  Of the few varieties offered by commercial hatcheries, lavender is one of them.  Look at the numbers of each variety shown at the last couple Ameraucana National Meets and you'll see that lavenders were much more popular than most varieties in both bantam and large fowl sizes.