Author Topic: First hatch of the season (w/pics)  (Read 1670 times)

Lee G

• Associate
First hatch of the season (w/pics)
« on: May 03, 2015, 10:21:08 AM »
Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't been around much of late. We've been crazy busy on the farm trying to get ready for early seeding, as well as helping my parents with their calving. Anyway, I just had my first hatch of the season on 4-28 and wanted to share with others who understand it NEVER, ever gets old... 8) and that prefer to talk fowl over cattle ;)

So I had 56/67 eggs hatch from eight different pairings, mostly blue x blue this round. There are quite a few differences in chick down too, which was surprising but interesting...I'm going to try and take better individual pics sometime next week. Kicking myself for not snapping some when I took them out of the hatching bags to toe punch. Some peeps from my favorite pullet in here too!  ;D

Thanks for letting me share the sweetness.  :)

~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: First hatch of the season (w/pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 10:57:05 AM »
Awesome, kinda looks like you got a lot of blue chicks. I have been lucky this year as well with the blue to splash/black ratio 😃😃😃
S.E. Michigan

Lee G

• Associate
Re: First hatch of the season (w/pics)
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 11:11:57 AM »
Yeah, seems to be a good year for blues so far. I got 36 blues in total, 6 splash and 14 blacks.  My next batch from the same pairings is due on Mother's Day, so hopefully the blue streak continues!  ;D
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden