Author Topic: Frontline during breeding season  (Read 1811 times)

The Malcolms

• Associate
Frontline during breeding season
« on: February 28, 2016, 01:30:25 PM »
Does anyone use Frontline during breeding season on the birds whose eggs you are collecting to hatch?  We usually only dust those birds then Frontline again after we are done hatching.  This year we are desperate so we were considering Frontline on the breeders.  Thanks for your help...🐔

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Frontline during breeding season
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 02:31:44 PM »
I used it once, did not seem to work, so went back to ivermectin.   Some kinds of mites to not live on the birds, but come off the roosts and out of cracks during the night to do their dirty work.   I have found that for best results it is best to treat all the birds in a flock on the same day. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 03:24:43 PM »
I use it on all the breeders after setting up the matings for the hatching season.

The Malcolms

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 05:58:42 PM »
Thanks John and Mike. 
John, in your experience the Frontline does not affect the developing chicks...?
Mike, what type of ivomectin do you use and how...?

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 07:13:59 PM »
John, in your experience the Frontline does not affect the developing chicks...?

Not that I've noticed.
http://www.frontline.com/pages/about.aspx
Its long-lasting formula is stored in the oil glands of the pet’s skin to give non-stop flea and tick protection for a full 30 days.
When applying it be sure it is directly on the skin to be effective...not the feathers or shafts.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 08:38:05 PM »
Thanks John and Mike. 
Mike, what type of ivomectin do you use and how...?

I use the cattle strength pour on Ivermectin and use an eye dropper to put a few drops on the bare skin above and below the vent.  There is also bare skin at the end of the pin bones if you push the feathers aside.  I hold the bird between my knees upside down with the feet pointing away from me.   With a little practice it works very well. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13