Author Topic: Pink in the Shanks and Feet  (Read 2378 times)

Steve Neumann

• Associate
Pink in the Shanks and Feet
« on: April 06, 2016, 05:41:26 PM »
I was told today that pink in the shanks of cocks is a sign of fertility, and is acceptable?  Is this accurate?  I was under the impression that any pink in the shanks or toes was undesirable.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Re: Pink in the Shanks and Feet
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 07:33:58 PM »
What colour is the bird?

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 07:57:03 PM »
I was told today that pink in the shanks of cocks is a sign of fertility, and is acceptable?  Is this accurate?  I was under the impression that any pink in the shanks or toes was undesirable.

Sounds like another old wives tale to me.

Steve Neumann

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 09:52:50 PM »
It was a Blue Wheaten cock on another forum.  I've included a close up of the shank. 

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 09:06:24 AM »
The pink is simply blood showing through a relatively thin layer of skin epidermis.  After a bird gets older, the skin gets heavier scaling, so it is thicker and the pink does not show through as much - if at all.   Younger birds are apt to be more active in the breeding pen, so there may be some truth to the claim, but there is no direct relationship between fertility and thin skin per se.
Anyway, that's my take on it.    Speaking of thin skin, did anyone else read Paul Smith's article in the April Poultry Press?   I had a good laugh over it.   
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Steve Neumann

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 09:57:25 AM »
Thanks, Mike.  Does this apply to visible pink in the feet as well or is that something different?

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 10:57:12 AM »
Thanks, Mike.  Does this apply to visible pink in the feet as well or is that something different?

Yes, I believe that as a bird gets older skin gets thicker from scaling and calluses tend to build up on the bottom of the feet, so less pink shows through.   Bear in mind there are usually exceptions to every rule. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 02:02:42 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13