The Official Ameraucana Forum > Breeding

Bantam Red Ameraucanas

(1/4) > >>

John W Blehm:
I was going thru old files and came across a photo Jim Tuckwood sent to me about 10 years ago of his red bantams.  I posted it on the forum for him back then and thought I'd repost it for those that hadn't seen it...and it seems like someone asked about them a while ago.

Russ Blair:
I am not a big fan of solid Red Birds. But I will admit the Rhode Island Red looks good dressed as an  Ameraucana. Do you know what ever happened with them? Looks like he had them close to being dialed in? Shame to see someone's hard work and perseverance just vanish.

John W Blehm:
Jim may still have them.  He hasn't been in the club for a while, but was an early member when we where the Ameraucana Bantam Club.

Mike Gilbert:
I have not heard from or seen Jim for many years, and he only lived a few hours south of me.  He was into raising goats last I heard.

Cesar Villegas:
How would one going to getting AMs to look like that? I was eyeing this project until I relocated. But might start it in the near future.

From what i read, Rhode Island Reds are eWh or eb base. I could be wrong, but thats what I read

http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=91291

So Im assuming a wheaten AM would have to be used. If i wanted to make it look like a Rhode Island Red. I would  breed to a Rose comb Rhode Island Red, cause that eliminates the recessive single comb gene. But I would be hesitate due to the recessive yellow skin gene. A red orpington doesnt have the Rhode Island Red color either, unless the columbian gene is introduced (my opinion)

I also considered the Buckeye since they already have the peacomb gene and also to me, they resemble the Ameraucana type.  But I dont think its the same red color pattern as Rhode Island Reds. But does a Red Ameraucana have to have the Rhode Island Red color type?
If you see the picture attached add muffs/beards and some slate legs and thats a pretty good looking Ameruacana lol..

To start help speed things along. I would use a Wheaten rooster over a buckeye hen. This creates sexlink slate legged pullets and white legged males (blue slate legs is sexlink). Once here I have no clue how else to proceed hahaha..

I also considered using some slate legged quail/columbian patter EEs which seems to be the most common color among EEs (shown below)

Again Buckeye or (RC)Rhode Island Red or Red Orpington?

This is what Ive come up with, please correct me if there is a better way :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version