Author Topic: Book 2nd Edition  (Read 642 times)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Book 2nd Edition
« on: December 05, 2023, 02:22:05 PM »
Since I have received a good number of requests for "The Ameraucana Book" since they have all been sold (I did give a few to family members), I am strongly considering doing a second and expanded edition.    It is a big job, requiring many hours of time, so I would like to know how many would be interested in purchasing a second book.  The first one sold for $20 per copy, or $27 if shipping was involved.  I would like to know (1) how many would want a second book, (2) what people feel is a fair price, (3) what in the first book should be eliminated, and (4) what topics should be expanded upon or added.  There are a number of technical/grammar corrections I'm already aware of.   You can respond to this here or, if you would rather, email me at Chantecler7@gmail.com .   I really need some feedback before starting, so thanks in advance for your advice. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Amanda Cornett

Re: Book 2nd Edition
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 09:39:22 PM »
I would love at least one copy if not two of this book! Sadly I missed thr first edition!  I think this as well as the first edition would be a wonderful asset to have & read for any Ameraucana enthusiasts/breeder. Lots of valuable knowledge to learn from. Price should be what you feel is a fair price Mike. Your years of expertise & hardwork is priceless in my opinion. Thank You for all you do & continue to do in the Ameraucana community.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 10:12:15 PM »
Thank you Amanda.   Watch this site for news on when the book will be ready.  I'm aiming for late spring/early summer of 2024.   
Mike Gilbert

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 10:50:21 PM »
I will take 1 as well Mike
S.E. Michigan

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 02:25:28 PM »
I will buy one.

Amanda Cornett

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 04:12:38 PM »
Thank you for all you do Mike! I look forward to reading & Learning from your book to come in 2024!

Laurie Ashley

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2023, 04:49:38 PM »
Put me down for 3 please.  I'd like one gor my library, but also a copy that I can gift to others, and a copy I can donate for a raffle/ auction item in the future. 

Karen Warner

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2023, 06:13:29 PM »
Mike, I definitely want a copy of the 2nd edition.  I truly enjoyed the first one and look forward to this one.  Thank you for sharing your memories and the history of this beautiful breed.

Andi VandeVere

• Double V Acres
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2023, 09:14:09 PM »
I would purchase a couple of copies. I'd also be willing to volunteer as a copy editor, as technical editing is what I went to school for.  🙂

Don Cash

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2023, 04:46:16 PM »
I'd like a copy too Mike. I'd be great if you can add as much detail as you can dig up about all of the LF creation too. I'm sure you have access to those varieties that You John and others bred up. It's a shame Wayne is gone. I'm sure he could have filled in much of what he did in the years with a few of the varieties. I know you gave him credit for much of the Wheaten LF creation and refinements. Documentation of those processes, and I know sometimes there were several different families, will be helpful to everyone breeding them now and well into the future.  Thank You for your efforts.   

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. /Mark Twain

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2023, 06:18:39 PM »
I'd like a copy too Mike. I'd be great if you can add as much detail as you can dig up about all of the LF creation too. I'm sure you have access to those varieties that You John and others bred up. It's a shame Wayne is gone. I'm sure he could have filled in much of what he did in the years with a few of the varieties. I know you gave him credit for much of the Wheaten LF creation and refinements. Documentation of those processes, and I know sometimes there were several different families, will be helpful to everyone breeding them now and well into the future.  Thank You for your efforts.
Don, I think I already said all I know about Wayne's efforts.   He had a commercial poultry operation that catered to the Asian market in and near Milwaukee.  He hatched thousands of birds every year.   I visited him at least once a year for a time.  It was like the Mall of America for blue egg chickens with Ameraucana characteristics.   His work could be characterized as the shotgun method.   He raised 2,000 LF blues in one year alone, so he had plenty to choose from.   He pretty much relied on my advice in converting easter egg chickens to Ameraucanas. The once piece of advice he ignored was getting the black out of the Wheaten male hackles, because he usually had big Wheaten males with that hackle fault that he wanted to use to keep the size up for his customers.   At this point, I'm not sure if I'm doing a second book.   It's about 50/50 right now, as I have been advised by a friend that there would be a very limited market for it.   
Mike Gilbert

Stacy Melton

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2023, 07:08:19 PM »
Mike I would love a second book.  I look at the 2 chapters on brown red all the time.  good advice in there for that color.  Hope you decide to print some more or do a new book.  People are always asking and looking for information on our breed.  I can't imagine you would not sell them all.  :)

I appreciated both your first book and Johns book.  Good information from both of you.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2023, 07:26:40 PM »
Mike I would love a second book.  I look at the 2 chapters on brown red all the time.  good advice in there for that color.  Hope you decide to print some more or do a new book.  People are always asking and looking for information on our breed.  I can't imagine you would not sell them all.  :)

I appreciated both your first book and Johns book.  Good information from both of you.

Thank you Stacy.   I appreciate the positive feedback. 
Mike Gilbert