Author Topic: Citrus Classic - Inverness, FL  (Read 2342 times)

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
Citrus Classic - Inverness, FL
« on: October 17, 2016, 03:39:16 PM »
Is anyone attending the Citrus Classic?

Well, I decided to jump in and have 1 cockerel and 7 pullets I will take to the Citrus Classic. Not that I really feel ready and not sure everyone is as filled out as I think they should be . . .

Looking at it as a learning experience and an opportunity for more experienced hands and eyes for opinions on where I am as a beginner.

Bathed two today and found it was not the daunting task I thought it would be   ;D

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Citrus Classic - Inverness, FL
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 04:03:55 PM »
Good for you!  It'll be an experience that you can build on.  Will this be your first time showing?

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 04:08:11 PM »
yes, I feel clueless!! Been reading all I can find and trying to apply it.

Got my SOP and studying, comparing. We will see how well I choose  :)

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 09:21:12 PM »
I made it to the show this past weekend and it was indeed an education (which is why I jumped in).

Sadly I was the only one with Ameraucanas so I did not get to talk with any other breeders/exhibitors of AMs
I bit off more than I could chew, I took 8 to show and some extras to re-home. There was a lot of interest and I got pulled away from the judging area and missed both times they were judged.

I caged the birds 3 weeks ahead of time and handled them every day, but they never got ok with being caged, I think they lost condition and I guess they acted badly for the judges.

I got to talk with the judges and one pretty well raked me over the coals for not having them properly cage trained and ready for show while the other one nodded.

I asked what to do to help them adjust and show well, he told me I do not have to keep them caged all the time, just a while each day, handle them, train them to stand correctly to show type and then let them back out.

He did say I had something to work with, but had to have them ready to show their type correctly.
Judges placed them pretty much as I expected within their own little group.

The cage size was OK, but the door was so tiny. Are all of them like that? I had a hard time getting them in and out of cage and they got agitated when I took them in and out also.

I am thinking I need to build something like that with a tiny door . . . .

I also met an older fellow who has a long history with birds in general and had bred/shown game birds and pigeons in the past, took a break for 10 years and now has an interest in Ameraucanas. He took home two pullets. He was on a first name basis with the judges, staff and many exhibitors. I look forward to spending more time with him and his wife. Turns out we also have a mutual friend who raises and shows pigeons. I think I can learn a lot from him. That was the best part of the show!!!!!!

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 10:25:47 PM »
Well, one step at a time and keep on learning.   After 40-plus years I'm still learning, and also re-learning lessons forgotten.   Enjoy the trip!  Making new friends is the best part of the journey.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 10:52:30 PM »
will do, any more hints on getting my birds closer to being OK with a cage, calm and ready to show how nice they really are.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 08:40:33 AM »
will do, any more hints on getting my birds closer to being OK with a cage, calm and ready to show how nice they really are.
Handle them a lot.  Start by picking them off the roost at night.  Stroke their feathers.   Talk to them.  Keep them a little on the hungry side, so they look forward to you coming with treats.  Do nothing to scare them or hurt them.  You will find that pullets tame down to a considerable extent when they come into lay.    Handle juvenile birds very carefully, because those immature feather follicles are full of blood and nerves, and they can hurt when bruised.  Often you will see them settle down to some extent when all the feathers are grown in and mature.   Breed for calm dispositions.   Part of it is genetic;  some beautiful old breeds never became very popular because they are genetically wild and nervous.  Make an investment in show-type cooping.   Place them in it for a few hours at a time and provide a small treat of some kind when they are put in, and when you take them out.   Over time they will improve.   It takes more time for the naturally wilder birds.   If they don't tame down, eliminate them from your breeding pens. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 11:15:45 AM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 10:34:15 PM »
Different varieties and even strains tend to have different temperaments. I would start small and then increase in numbers later. By starting with fewer birds to condition and prep it will not be so overwhelming. For me conditioning starts before they are hatched. With breeders being free from parasites, fed a well balanced ration, and Vitaminwater. As the chicks are growing out I pull any contenders out and they go in conditioning pens. I will put 2-3 pullets in each pen and 2 cockerels in with each other. I put the same variety together to help me judge them. By 6-8 weeks before the show I have them down to 1 cockerel and no more than 2 pullets in each pen. Usually I am down to 1 per pen. At 6-8 week point I pull any damaged feathers, treat for parasites, and begin handling them daily. I don't handle them for a long period of time. I just remove them, hold them like the judge would, and inspect them like the judge would. When I return them to the pen I try to make them pose just like a judge would. If I was to guess I would say 2-5 min per bird is all I handle them. Now there are the exceptions, like the ones I think are real competition for everyone else. The most important thing to remember is to enjoy the experience and have fun. Meeting new friends and visiting the ones I may only see once a year is where I find the true joy, placing well is just a bonus lol
S.E. Michigan

Schroeder

• Associate
    • Schroeder Poultry
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 12:10:54 PM »
That is why Russ wins so consistently. He does it right, and produces high quality stock.  I simply can't find that much time, so I find myself sorting my best few about a week in advance of the show.  I put them in individual show cages, bath them and handle them several times a day. This sometimes helps with the pullets, but rarely do the cockerels calm down much. (The black cockerel I took to the Nationals was like a Tasmanian Devil!)

I could sure tell the difference with my wheatens and those shown by Max.  When you walked by the cages my 2 paced nervously back and forth, and hated any hands coming near the cage.  Max's were far more calm/show worthy.  Regardless, as Russ says, it gave me the opportunity to evaluate the progress of my birds, allowed me to pick the brains of the experts, and generally enjoy a great day with like minded friends.

Duane 

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 10:12:34 PM »
Thank you all so much for the guidance and encouragement. I certainly tried to take on more than I should have.

Fortunately I think all my birds have the disposition to learn how to cope and show themselves well. As soon as they were home and in their "safe place" they became the sweeties I am used to, especially the Lavenders who turn around on the roost and crowd closer to get their bellies scratched! I have decided to focus on only 2 and follow your suggestions with the goal of making it to the Sunshine Classic in January.

I will make a cage like the ones used there, I also have to get used to those tiny doors. I also think better transport boxes like what John showed in another thread would make the ride less stressful than the larger open cages I used

I feel I have already made one lifelong friend who may be joining our ranks as an AM enthusiast and renewed contact with an acquaintance from some years ago who breeds and shows other types of birds.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 10:26:29 AM »
I will make a cage like the ones used there, I also have to get used to those tiny doors. I also think better transport boxes like what John showed in another thread would make the ride less stressful than the larger open cages I used

Some exhibitors buy and use show coops to prep their birds and some use them for housing year round.  Keipper Cooping is the place to order from, if you are interested.

For transporting birds to and from shows I suggest plastic/metal coops that can be washed.  Wood just doesn't in when talking biosecurity.  Cardboard can be used and then burned or trashed.  "Pet Taxis" work well, but units with openings on top would be better.  Some use plastic tubs with lids and cut many vent holes in them.  Welded wire coops can cause damage to feathers.

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 11:14:48 AM »
Thanks, was looking at Keipper Cooping last night. At the show, I saw a lot of interesting modified plastic tubs   :)

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!!!