Author Topic: Egg Chart and tufts  (Read 1592 times)

Carrie H Turbyfill

Egg Chart and tufts
« on: February 05, 2017, 09:34:28 PM »
I have a few questions:
How do I use this egg chart and what is it's purpose?

So Ameracauna chickens have the ear tufts and a muff or is it one or the other?

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Egg Chart and tufts
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 10:05:12 PM »
I have a few questions:
How do I use this egg chart and what is it's purpose?

So Ameracauna chickens have the ear tufts and a muff or is it one or the other?

Here are a couple quotes from our FAQ page that should help...

What Ameraucana Egg Shell Color is the most desired?
Officially, other than "blue" egg shells the club has not and probably won't try to define any other criteria of egg color.  We offer the Ameraucana Egg Color Reference Chart, but it is only for referencing or comparing egg shell colors.

Here is a link to another topic that talks more about the charts.  http://ameraucanaalliance.org/forum/index.php?topic=180.msg2738#msg2738

What are the major differences between Ameraucana and Araucana chickens?
Both breeds lay eggs with shells colored various shades of blue, have pea combs, and should have red earlobes. Beyond that few similarities exist in specimens meeting the requirements of recognized poultry standards. Perhaps 99 percent of chickens sold as Araucanas (or Ameraucanas) by commercial hatcheries are actually mongrels (aka Easter Egg chickens), meeting the requirements of neither breed.
According to the American Poultry Association (APA), the Araucana breed must be rumpless (no tail) and have ear tufts. Ear tufts are clumps of feathers growing from small tabs of skin usually found at or near the region of the ear openings. This feature is unique in the U.S. to the Araucana breed. This trait is nearly always lethal to unhatched chicks when inherited from both parents. Tufted Araucanas, therefore, are always genetically impure, i.e., they don't breed true and will always produce a percentage of "clean-faced" offspring.
The Ameraucana breed, on the other hand, has a tail and sports muffs and beard in the facial area. These characteristics are true-breeding. Other requirements of both breeds may be found in the APA's Standard of Perfection and in the American Bantam Association's (ABA) Bantam Standard.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 09:50:02 PM »
The egg chart is an easy guide to share with others the exact color of your eggs. Photos never show the true color of egg color from my experience. As far as tufts, Ameraucana should not have them. Instead they should have beards and muffs.
S.E. Michigan

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 10:09:46 PM »
The egg chart is an easy guide to share with others the exact color of your eggs. Photos never show the true color of egg color from my experience.

I take a picture of the egg in the middle of the chart. Then even if the photo distorts the color, there's a reference point.
Beth Curran