Author Topic: double / dual spurs  (Read 1600 times)

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
double / dual spurs
« on: November 05, 2016, 09:10:20 PM »
I have a few boys that have a spur that is doubling as it comes out.  I was wondering, is this easily corrected via breeding?  And since they are coming out of presumably one space could removing them make the boys now showable?

Thanks.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: double / dual spurs
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 10:08:22 PM »
Selective breeding is the only answer that I know of.  I didn't know I had birds with the problem until recently and it is now number 1 on my list when deciding on which LF males to keep.
http://ameraucanaalliance.org/forum/index.php?topic=557.0

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 10:17:38 PM »
According to my copy of the APA Standard of Perfection, extra spurs are only a 1/2 point cut, and are not a disqualification.   I believe there are a lot more important factors to be concerned about.   Other things being equal, I would keep the bird without the extra spurs, but other things are seldom equal. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Harry Shaffer

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 09:25:44 AM »
I only had one bird that produced this defect and it was a bought bird.  I did not keep it or it offsprings.  My son said you can tell on the sumatras if they have double spurs at a young age.  So culling should be simple if necessary.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 05:59:58 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  I think there is one maybe two  that I will suffer with because I won't have any if I don't. Both are otherwise nice boys, with very good temperaments and friendly.

Sue