Author Topic: Silent auction @ Nationals?  (Read 6817 times)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Silent auction @ Nationals?
« on: July 10, 2016, 03:14:17 PM »
Not sure if I should post this under Exibiting or not? I was just wondering what people thought of holding a silent auction at our nationals? I was more thinking of quality birds, but I guess merchandise could work as well. At our 2014 Nationals I really liked the idea, until someone decided to take it upon themselves to split them up as single birds. I would much rather of seen a breeding pair, that was donated,be sold as a breeding pair. I am not even sure if they could accommodate such a thing for us at the show? I just thought I would bring it up as a way of giving members/new members attending a way of getting quality stock. All proceeds would be respectfully going to the club to help fund next years National. I would be willing to help out if needed. It looks like I may even have some birds to possibly donate (knock on wood, a lot can happen between now and then). Just some food for thought, thanks for reading my rant.....
S.E. Michigan

Gina Neta

• Associate
Re: Silent auction @ Nationals?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 04:21:19 PM »
I really like your idea Russ!  I would love to see this idea take off.  What does everyone else think?  I would think if something like a "breeding pair" be auctioned off as such - the pair.  Just like a "quality pullet" be auctioned as that - a pullet. Merchandise could be included in the auction too.  The Galesville show had a silent auction and I thought it was great.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 07:36:39 PM »
Nice idea, but as a courtesy to the host club we should probably get their permission, as they have their own raffle going on and may not want the competition.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 08:43:03 PM »
Beth and I talked about having a silent auction last year, but the local show club puts on a pretty big one and that was one reason we didn't pursue it.  That is not to say we shouldn't or can't if there is interest and I believe if the items were Ameraucanas there would be no conflict of interest.  We would need a committee of at least two members to organize it in my opinion and they should coordinate with me as secretary.
In the old days we generally had a fund raising raffle at our National Meets.  My problem was some members had to sit and sell tickets and, in my opinion, miss out on enjoying the show.  Silent auctions remedy that. 

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 10:49:02 PM »
I would more be more than happy to help organize and such if the host club would grant us permission, and cages? I would even start it off with a couple pairs of bantams (blue, black, lavender or silver) not sure which yet, still have some needing finished. I will even possibly have a few others if needed like some single wheaten bantam. Possibly some Large Fowl as well? It would be a great way of me getting somebody a good start with Blue Silvers hehe. Oh if the hosting club doesn't have extra cages. If keipper cooping is planning on attending that show I would also be willing to purchase several cages in order to make this happen. I am building a 40'x60' barn this summer so I could use them anyway. Plus I could always bring them the following years if need be.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 10:57:12 PM by Russ Blair »
S.E. Michigan

Gina Neta

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 05:41:04 AM »
Looks like we have our chairman for this committee!  Russ can you work with John in flushing this out - see what the host club's thoughts are?  I am happy to help you too if needed.  Once we get the green light from the host club (fingers crossed) sounds like you've got some good next-step thoughts brewing.  😊

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Silent Auction @ 2016 Nationals
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 01:04:53 PM »
Hello everyone, we just got permission from the hosting club of our Nationals to hold a silent auction. This will be a livestock only auction. This will be a great way for new members and old to obtain quality breeding stock. All proceeds will respectfully go to help fund next years National meet. So this is a win/win situation. Unlike the previous silent auctions we will respect the donors wishes. Meaning a breeding pair donated will be sold as a breeding pair, like wise with trios etc. So if anybody would like to donate please contact myself, Gina or reply to this topic. I know it is still early to tell exactly how well most of our birds will finish. But as a courtesy to the hosting club I would like a good head count asap, so they know how many coops we will need. Again this will be a silent auction for quality breeding stock. Thanks for reading and keep this is mind. This is just another added bonus for AA members, and another thing that will truly make our Ameraucana Alliance National Meet the premier Ameraucana show of the year. Oh we will gladly accept single birds as well. Sorry if it sounded like pairs of trios only. So even if you do not plan on showing this will be a wonderful time to purchase some decent breeding stock. You never know, you may just find that trait your current line lacks in.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 02:08:20 PM by Russ Blair »
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 10:05:09 AM »
For the silent auction I hope to bring a pair of this year's brown red bantams.     I spoke with Neil Townsend on the phone last night, and it looks like he will bring a pair of blue wheaten 2016 hatch bantams.   Neil and Donna had reserve champion bantam overall at their local show last week on a blue wheaten pullet, with over 300 bantams shown.    So there is a start.  Anybody else contributing?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:09:10 AM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert

Gina Neta

• Associate
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 08:22:43 PM »
I will be donating a pair of Lavender bantams, and possibly a couple white LF Ameraucanas from this year.  Who else??????  🎉

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 12:32:23 PM »
I should have some just not sure exactly what yet lol. Between buildings my a new barn I am a little behind schedule. Hopefully Labor Day weekend I will make my final cull for the year.
S.E. Michigan

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 03:56:03 PM »
I'll donate a pair of large fowl blues...

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 04:52:13 PM »
I'll donate a pair of large fowl blues...

Thanks!   It will be great to see you again.
Mike Gilbert

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 08:53:55 AM »
Thanks!   It will be great to see you again.

I'm looking forward to it. BTW, will you have any Brown Red bantams for me?  :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 10:09:04 AM by John W Blehm »

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 08:58:12 AM »
Max, I did not raise many this year, and already promised a pair for the silent auction.    Other than that pair I won't have any extras this year unless I get out of them altogether.   I'll think about that. 
Mike Gilbert

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 04:23:37 PM »
Guess I'm slow, but this auction is for AA members only to bid, or can all show attendees bid?