Author Topic: Complete detailed SOP for Ameraucanas  (Read 5775 times)

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
Complete detailed SOP for Ameraucanas
« on: February 24, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
Is there a more detailed SOP available? I have seen discussion about things such as eye color and such, but the color is not mentioned in the only published SOP that I have found. Do you have to purchase the complete book from the APA for that info?

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Complete detailed SOP for Ameraucanas
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 10:21:33 PM »
Yes.  The "Standard" page on our site (and of course another site one I started) is only a partial description.  I know of other breed clubs that copied and pasted their breed's full Standard description.  They may be in violation of APA/ABA copyrights.  I personally worked with Sam Brush of the APA to make sure I didn't go too far when coming up with the Standard page.

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 06:33:59 AM »
So, that would mean that I have to purchase the APA book for a complete description of SOP? Wonder if the Public Library would carry it in the reference dept? Gotta drop by and check to see.

I know no one really likes to display a bird that falls short, but it would be so helpful to have a section of pics that give a visual of DQ traits and flaws to watch out for. I would be very educational for new breeders. I visited a Welsummer page recently and they had excellent examples of the breed and then flawed birds and explained why the bird fell short of SOP. I thought that was just awesome!

The discussion about angel wings and duck feet with pics was very interesting to me. I don't have any Ameraucanas with those traits, but have an EE with major angel wings (I still think she is a pretty EE) and now I recognize it when I see it.

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 04:23:14 PM »
The standard is worth buying, not just for the Ameraucana standard, bit in the front sections of the book, there are many pictures describing exactly what you are talking about...physical attributes and what is and is not desirable in a bird...

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 04:39:04 PM »
The standard is worth buying, not just for the Ameraucana standard, bit in the front sections of the book, there are many pictures describing exactly what you are talking about...physical attributes and what is and is not desirable in a bird...

Every serious breeder needs a Standard.   The American Poultry Association's new Standard of Perfection is now available on line for only $59. which I believe includes the shipping.  Here is the link:   http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/store.htm      If we can afford the birds, the feed, the housing, the internet, etc. the cost of a Standard is really minimal.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 05:36:56 PM »
I ordered mine today. It is a must have for anyone who is serious about standard bred poultry.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 06:46:57 PM »
I ordered mine today. It is a must have for anyone who is serious about standard bred poultry.

I just hope they corrected the female tail angle back to what it is supposed to be, which is 40 degrees above horizontal.   Somehow the 2010 edition came out with it listed at 45 degrees.   I had contacted the APA Standard chairman about that, and he said it would be corrected in this edition.   Max, I'm not buying quite yet, so when you get yours let us know how that reads, okay?   
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 08:58:04 PM »
Will do, Mike. I was wondering the same thing about the tail angle misprint.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 09:16:11 PM »
If a new one is coming out...I just hope they took the time to proof it this time.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 06:40:21 PM »
The new president, John Monaco, in advertising for the new book, sais that Walt Leonard and his staff combed through the old version and made all the corrections.  I think that's swell, but I am not buying this opus, as I believe that an set of errata should be given to us with the old version with the corrections or a discount for those with the previous edition to upgrade.  That is standard policy elsewhere.   I have made that comment on FB but I was ignored.  I don't think overall the APA is very member friendly and I don't want to encourage that so I'll pass for a while.
Brownie.

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 03:57:13 AM »
FWIW, I paid for a "regular" SOP that I use all the time and I also bought one of the "Collector Editions".  Think I got #11 or 12 if I remember right.  I'll just say that I was more than a little disappointed in the proofing that was done.  I found several Typos and other mistakes without even trying to look.  Perhaps I'm being unreasonable but it seems to me that $60 for a book oughta command a bit better QA/QC than what was produced.  Not to mention that the "Collector's Edition" contained the same.

That said, I've got the info I need probably until the birds all go to roost for the last time.  Doubt I'll be buying another.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 08:41:43 PM »
Can't find a used copy, so I am going to ask my kids for a copy for my birthday.  ;)

I found this e-book interesting -

http://hdl.handle.net/2027/chi.087299559

Has anyone read it? What did you think?

and think I will order the book Start Where You Are With What You Have since I have seen that mentioned as a good resource.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 09:14:49 PM »
Can't find a used copy, so I am going to ask my kids for a copy for my birthday.  ;)

I found this e-book interesting -

http://hdl.handle.net/2027/chi.087299559

Has anyone read it? What did you think?

and think I will order the book Start Where You Are With What You Have since I have seen that mentioned as a good resource.

I glanced at the ebook and when I saw 1912 I thought of my friend Ed that was telling me today about a couple chicken books he has from that year and the late 1800s.  He refers to them with his Hamburgs, but I suggest most anything more up to date unless you are interested in poultry history.
That Start Where you are... booklet is cheap and worth the read. 
There are links to several poultry genetic sites pinned to our Breeding subforum that are fairly up to date and cover the basics of chicken genetics. 
Having a Standard is important for all exhibitors and after that if you prefer books to websites we could ask the folks on The Classroom @ The Coop forum to recommend some.

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 10:34:27 PM »
thanks, John, I have been lurking at the Coop for a little while and just signed up for an account.

I did read nearly all of the online book by C. H. Card and he gives what he presents as a tried and true method of line breeding to set traits and then outcrossing to keep vigor and health. It took me back to when I had horses and followed several favorite show horses and their offspring over those years. I could not resist looking at halter and performance horses of today and I saw names I remember from the '60s - 70s. In the pedigrees I could see where line/outcrosses (carefully planned) kept those old names so influential and current. I also thought of the great racehorse Secretariat who (if I remember correctly) was the result of a very carefully planned line breeding program then an equally well planned outcross.

Reading the genetics articles and also really like your info on the chick down and types. Going to document that better here next time I hatch.

I will also order the Start Where You Are With What You Have, also.

Yeah, I need that APA Standard book, too. It is not optional. I do like books. Still like to curl up in a comfy chair with a pencil and highlighter and real paper book to make notes on.  :)

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 09:15:06 PM »
Finally have it in my grubby paws!! WHO HOO.

Went looking for some specific info and found references to wrong pages.

If anyone is looking for me I will be in the coop, reading