Author Topic: khaki blehm  (Read 2050 times)

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
khaki blehm
« on: March 10, 2016, 08:57:22 PM »
So John I take that this is project died on the vine?
"I kept some for a few years, but didn't know what to do with them and quit breeding from them. I thought they came from my blacks, but don't really know which variety they came from. I have several more photos if anyone has a desire to see them"

I would guess lavender and wheaten.  Did you ever figure it out?

http://alturl.com/gmwgw

I found that looking for mauve.  I am guessing this is it.
http://preview.alturl.com/csmq5

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:01:51 PM by BrownEyes »

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: khaki blehm
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 07:56:56 AM »
If I had to guess, one copy of dominant white and birchen could be involved, both brought in from the Buff Laced Polish.   Shank color is too dark for wheaten to be involved in my opinion.   
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 10:27:33 AM »
I think they were khaki Ameraucanas.  I originally assumed the color was coming from one of the "I" dominant white genes, but thought it may be smoky from reading the color description.  I exhibited some as smoky and exhibitors of other breeds guessed at fawn, khaki and other possibilities.  From the discussions on The Classroom @ The Coop I feel they were ID/ID (dun/dun) which give the khaki variety.

Dun (ID) and Sex-linked Chocolate (choc):
* Dr Okimoto has mentioned in the past that red enhancers may modify Dun expression.

The Dun gene is an allele of the Dominant White (I) locus. The Dun gene (ID) is found in various breeds in the US, but unfortunately given several different variety names, eg "Fawn" in OEGB, "Chocolate & Khaki" in Polish, "Dun" in Wyandottes, etc.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 12:54:50 PM by John W Blehm »

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 01:29:52 PM »

I like the idea of _fawn_ a lot &   I think it is a beautiful colour. On fB, Nina Turner & Mike G went with incomplete dominance & neither liked it.  Jerry Segler said that he had also produced them and felt that they were OPAL from Opal Old English Game.

http://evolution.about.com/od/Evolution-Glossary/g/Incomplete-Dominance.htm

(BTW evolution is not genetics, that is wrong and in fact Mendel, weakly because of Darwin's popularity,  and later American Nobel laureate Thos Hunter Morgan, very strongly,  argued against evolution as being scientifically wrong).

So John you are saying that it is DUN and thus blue based and not Khaki and Buff based then?

Brownie.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 01:51:42 PM by BrownEyes »

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 03:04:30 PM »
So John you are saying that it is DUN and thus blue based and not Khaki and Buff based then?

"I feel they were ID/ID (Dun/Dun) which give the khaki variety."  If so it would have nothing to do with blue.
One copy of the E-locus gene called Dun (ID)produces the variety called dun, as I understand it and two copies (pure/homozygous) of Dun produces the variety called khaki.