Author Topic: Split Wing  (Read 2637 times)

Schroeder

• Associate
    • Schroeder Poultry
Split Wing
« on: June 13, 2015, 08:01:48 AM »
If I understand this correctly, split wing is recessive so both parents have the gene.  How aggressively should I attempt to eliminate this?

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Split Wing
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 08:21:11 AM »
Duane, I would have to say it depends on what else you have to breed with.   Try to avoid breeding from any bird with split wing, and known carriers, but sometimes a carrier may be all you have to work with.   Or a carrier may have some other desirable trait that needs to be perpetuated in a line. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 09:11:06 AM »
a carrier may have some other desirable trait that needs to be perpetuated in a line. 

I saw a silver bantam cock at a show last fall who was dq'd for split wing but he had the best color I've seen in a silver. If he'd been for sale he'd have come home with me, split wing and all!
Beth Curran

Michelle Ogden

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:32:46 AM »
I know this post is old, but I've just come across one of my lavenders that I think has split wing. And, wouldn't you know, it's the one I felt had the most promise... She is only four months old, so I'm wondering if she may "grow out" of it?

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 01:04:34 PM »
Hi Michelle, I've never heard of it "growing out".  I had a Swedish Flower Hen that had a split wing -- over time Olaf's split got wider and deeper.

Brownie

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 10:53:43 AM »
Hi Michelle, I recently asked the same question regarding one of my grow outs on the APA Facebook page and was basically advised not to judge a birds' wings until it's finished growing in all wing feathers, so usually 5+ months old. Also, wings can feather in strangely, especially when birds are going through their awkward phase. True split wing cannot be outgrown because the axial feather is missing. Hope this helps!  :)

~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden