Author Topic: New APA Standard  (Read 5183 times)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
New APA Standard
« on: March 10, 2016, 08:31:52 AM »
There was an announcement on the APA Facebook page concerning the new Standard of Perfection.    I asked if someone who had one purchased the new one to let me know if they corrected the female Ameraucana tail angle back to 40 degrees instead of the 45 degrees they had listed incorrectly in the 2010 edition.   One of our members responded with a photo of the appropriate page.   I was not at all surprised, but at the same time very disappointed, to see the correction had not been done as promised.   I won't be wasting my money on a new Standard.   The Peter Principle reigns supreme within the APA powers that be. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Gina Neta

• Associate
Re: New APA Standard
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 09:00:10 AM »
How disappointing!!!!  They should be ashamed, but I have a feeling they are not.  I am questioning the value of belonging to this organization.  Other than the "requirement" to be an APA member for 5 years to be a part of new varieties being accepted (and we all know how THAT goes) what exactly is a good reason to belong?  I'm coming up empty.....

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 09:12:23 AM »
here's the 2016 page which is the same as the 2010 page which is different from all the others. ::) 
I've uploaded a version to the board which highlights the differences and on flickr the full page can
be viewed.

https://flic.kr/p/EYuVmz

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 11:03:45 AM by BrownEyes »

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 09:38:58 PM »
here's the 2016 page which is the same as the 2010 page which is different from all the others. ::) 
I've uploaded a version to the board which highlights the differences and on flickr the full page can
be viewed.

https://flic.kr/p/EYuVmz

How long did it take to get your new standard? Its been almost 2 weeks for me and nothing

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 10:13:56 PM »
Two weeks is too little.  Give it at least 3.  They are slow even in the off period.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 01:39:55 PM »
I was wondering more about this. Given a margin of error, isn't this saying in reality that anything from 40 degrees to almost 50 is in the ballpark?  I mean, no two judges can accurately both get 45, so isn't there a plus or minus margin of error?

Brownie.

Ed Brockman

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 02:24:30 PM »
I am assuming the new SOP is being printed in China, as was the previous edition.  I will not purchase one until it is printed in the U.S. With what they charge for it as it is, I believe the additional charge for a book printed in the U.S. would not be a deterrent to anyone?

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 03:00:03 PM »
This a real shame and not very beneficial to anyone who is new to the breed and wants to set a goal of meeting a SOP when choosing breeders and mating them? If there is a range of acceptance, that should be stated as such (IMHO). If I had purchased that book and found errors, I would be livid.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 06:24:42 PM »
I am assuming the new SOP is being printed in China, as was the previous edition.

That assumption is correct Ed.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »
Being printed in China would explain why the back is coming unglued on my 2010 edition. I hate to say it but I agree with Gina. I am finding it hard to come up with reasons to keep a membership to it.
S.E. Michigan

Gina Neta

• Associate
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 08:04:02 PM »
It's ok to agree with me Russ.  It will be all right........  LOL .....  I hesitate to drop my APA membership ONLY because of developing new varieties.....and naming them.....hmmmmm.  Maybe I should re-think my strategy? ???

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 09:07:45 PM »
You guys are cracking me up.  Hating to agree with Gina really brought a smile to my face...just shy of laughing out loud.
I know Ed mentioned the books are printed in China and although I agree with him and buy north American made when possible, I think it is ironic that the last two Standards I bought were printed in China and the quality of the printing and book making appeared great while they had so many errors from lack of proofing back here in north America. 
Russ, my book just sits on the shelf so I haven't had any problems with the glue.

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 06:39:03 AM »
FWIW, as I mentioned on the other SOP thread, I bought both the regular $60 SOP and a "Collector's Edition".  The first regular one I bought literally fell apart in like the first 2wks.  I complained and they did send me another but due to that the Collectors Edition is pretty much just been sitting in a box as I'm afraid to even open it!
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 01:33:24 AM »
Got mine in the mail a couple days ago. Its my first standard. Hopefully it serves me well for a while.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 04:39:09 PM »
from john Monaco, the APA President....

Due to an unfortunate omission in the printing of the newly released Standard of Perfection two recently recognized varieties did not appear in that edition. The descriptions for the _Bearded Self Blue Silkie Bantam_ and the _Ginger Red Modern Game Bantam_ can be found on the website at www.amerpoultryassn.com. Both of these varieties have been accepted by the Association and can compete for any American Poultry Association awards or points. The Organization apologizes for this oversight.