Author Topic: Hobby Farms Annual Poultry Issue, March/April 2016  (Read 2535 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Hobby Farms Annual Poultry Issue, March/April 2016
« on: May 12, 2016, 06:14:01 PM »
I don't subscribe to magazines, other than the Poultry Press, but I do receive issues of those I advertise in and glance through them.  This one got my attention with a full color page (#39) of an Easter Egger with "Ameraucana" as the only words on the page.  Page 38 starts an article, "Get 'Em While They're HOT", about the "scoop on the most popular chickens in America's chicken coops today".  Ameraucana is listed as #1.  I understand we all make mistakes, but why didn't they proof it before going to print?  After all, it is an established publication. 

I sent an email to my sales rep at Hobby Farms/Chickens.   
Thanks for the Hobby Farms Poultry issue.  My ad is fine and I don’t take the time to read magazines, but as I went thru the pages and saw the chicken on page 39 listed as an Ameraucana I felt couldn’t keep quiet.  I am the breeder that created most varieties of large fowl Ameraucana chickens.  That bird in the photo is a chicken, but a mixed breed chicken…certainly not an Ameraucana.  No, it isn’t your fault but please forward this up the ladder.  The writer mixed some truth with some fiction and it winds up in print as gospel for your readers, that don’t know any better, to believe.  I and others have worked hard for decades to undo the false advertising of Ameraucana and Araucana chickens by the commercial hatcheries and feed stores.  As I look at the article I read where the author calls ISA Brown, Cinnamon Queen and Cornish Cross “breeds” of chickens, while they are hybrids (aka cross breeds).  She even includes Easter Eggers in her list using much of the definition I wrote, but then actually goes on to quote the old wives tale saying “the meat…has a similar taste to quail”!
How embarrassing.  Your publishers evidently print without proofing.

The sales person is great and on March 23rd said...
Hi John,

Roger, our editor, says he will look into this soon. We are shipping the May/June issue of Hobby Farms this week so he will not have the opportunity to review it until after it ships.

Thank you,

I haven't heard a word from him and won't be advertising with them after my current agreement.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Re: Hobby Farms Annual Poultry Issue, March/April 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »
That's good that you corrected them John.  Clarifying the diffs always helps.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 01:29:14 PM »
Backyard Poultry does the same thing.   I contacted them once to no avail. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 03:00:23 PM »
Backyard Poultry does the same thing.   I contacted them once to no avail.

I had a better relationship with Elaine when her family owned it, than with the new editor, Ryan.  They also had a salesman named, Gary, that was great to work with. 
Back in March I noticed they had a photo of an Easter Egger on their site and some misinformation, so I diplomatically went thru, Kelly, my sales rep there and she got action right away.  She was also quick to have a BYP magazine ad in our new Ameraucana Handbook.
John,

I got the team on this right away this am.  Please read below and let me know if you have a different picture you want there, we are more than willing to put that up for you.
Also, take a look at the bottom and let me know if you want anything changed.  We greatly appreciate your time in finding this.  We are working hard to make sure everything is correct on the new site, but sometimes things get mixed up.  So, we are thankful for you people like you to bring that to our attention. 

Talk to you soon!
Kelly

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 03:24:50 PM »
Truth just seems to be something that is not held in high regard any longer.  I see and hear things advertised on TV and Radio these days and wonder why the FCC is allowing it.  Evidently blatant false advertising is no longer against the law.  I guess that's to be expected now that company's like Ashley Madison can advertise "cheating". 

FWIW, I think you did the right thing in both reaching out to them and canceling your advertising with them.  I'm a little surprised they didn't offer you the opportunity to write a rebuttal story or something.  You're exactly right when you say the falsehoods wind up in print as gospel to the readers.

It really seems as though integrity is a lost concept anymore and it's all about the money.  Not sure what can be done about it these days other than just continuing to stand up for the truth and try letting them know you'll impact their bottom-line as much as you can.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 03:47:26 PM »
Truth just seems to be something that is not held in high regard any longer.  I see and hear things advertised on TV and Radio these days and wonder why the FCC is allowing it.  Evidently blatant false advertising is no longer against the law.  ". 

Well blatant Election lies are no longer outlawed, beyond that I think it is whether someone presses a case. 
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/11/federal-judge-rejects-ohio-law-requiring-truth-in-/?page=all