Author Topic: Dropping Shell-less Eggs  (Read 1346 times)

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
Dropping Shell-less Eggs
« on: July 29, 2018, 04:56:55 AM »
I hope this is ok as this isn't about Ameraucanas.  If not just delete.

I've got several Buckeyes who are dropping shell-less eggs from their roost at night.  It's been going on for quite some time.  Has anyone ever had this and/or know why this is happening.  They're getting plenty of oyster shell as their eating about a cup of it every 3dys or so.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Dropping Shell-less Eggs
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 02:13:45 PM »
Have you tried adding about a tablespoon of vinegar per gallon of water?    I think it helps them utilize the calcium and other minerals it takes to make the egg shell.   If not, give it a try and let us know if it helps.   I think probably the natural apple cider vinegar works the best. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 03:31:54 PM »
I hope this is ok as this isn't about Ameraucanas.  If not just delete.

I've got several Buckeyes who are dropping shell-less eggs from their roost at night.  It's been going on for quite some time.  Has anyone ever had this and/or know why this is happening.  They're getting plenty of oyster shell as their eating about a cup of it every 3dys or so.

I first thought is a genetic problem, if it is several gals of one breed knowing you have other breeds and assuming they all are housed under the same conditions with the same diet.  I would also think that and eggs dropped from the roosts rather than laid in nests indicates a problem specific to that breed or line.  I'll get a shell-less egg from time to time, but it has never been a constant problem with any one bird, variety or breed here.

Quote from: [url=http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs/
The Poultry Site[/url]]Thin-shelled eggs and shell-less eggs are commonly produced by pullets coming into lay, particularly by birds that have matured early.

Some sites say it is more common with pullets that start to lay too young, hens that are getting too old, too much salt and vitamin D3 is needed to process the calcium. 

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 07:46:13 PM »
Mike, I don't measure it out but I give them about a tablespoon of ACV per gallon on a daily basis.  Have for  years.  I don't buy the stuff with "mother's" but rather just true ACV and not the Heinze "flavored" stuff.  I did some research a few years ago on the "mother's" and if memory serves me correctly the "mother's" gunk is just produced by adding alcohol.  Or maybe it's removed by removing the alcohol.  Don't remember now but I remember it had to do with alcohol.

John, that was my first thought too.  I'm pretty sure it's just the Buckeyes.  I've gotten other shell-less eggs before that were actually laid but I think even then it was a Buckeye.  Don't recall ever getting one from any other breeds.  And I think this has been going on for at least a year now.  Maybe more.  And the really odd thing is that they're always doing this at night.  I've actually seen them drop one right from the roost when I'm out making my rounds.

Thanks for the feedback guys!  I'm leaning toward genetics even more now.  I suppose the problem will take care of itself over time.  Sure ain't gonna be scooping up the broken egg for the incubator!  LOL
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)