Author Topic: Point of Lay (POL)  (Read 1219 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Point of Lay (POL)
« on: July 04, 2018, 09:47:38 PM »
I found a couple bantam pullet eggs today and the oldest pullets are only 20 weeks old.  Of course they may not all lay that early, but too often I hear that Ameraucanas don't start laying until they are closer to a year old.  Different varieties and lines will have different results as will individual birds.  I just don't want the breed to get a bad reputation due to a few bad apples.  The 2 Golden Comet hybrids I have started laying at 18 weeks, as advertised.  No breed  should be expected to produce as early or often as a hybrid, just as they won't be ready for slaughter as early as a hybrid.  I'm not shy about promoting hybrids when egg production or meat are the main goals.  Ameraucanas have so much more to offer though.  ;)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Point of Lay (POL)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 10:45:22 PM »
Which variety of bantam is laying John?    I know you don't have whites, but my early white pullets are all laying.  I had culled my only wheaten early pullet two months ago.  Have lots of younger ones.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 11:44:36 PM »
Don't know what variety...all the bantam pullets are in a coop together.

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 11:36:44 AM »
Whoopie,

A Jan 12 hatch Wheatie has laid 3 eggs in the past week (23 weeks). A couple more are "talking" about it. I have been fortunate, even my Silvers started at about 26 weeks last year. I can pretty well expect to be flooded with little blue eggs @ 6 - 6.5 months from hatch.