Author Topic: LT vaccination program  (Read 1833 times)

Brad Stonebarger

LT vaccination program
« on: July 08, 2018, 03:58:53 PM »
Hello all,

I’m trying to get some info on how to properly go about vaccinating our birds for LT. I plan on using
LT-IVAX. I guess my question is , I’ve never done this before and was wondering if I vaccinate the whole flock?
I know your suppose to vaccinate at least  4 weeks after the last hatch then at 10 weeks for a booster but I’d just like to know if you do the whole flock twice ? Some of our breeders are 2-4 years old. Should they be vaccinated as well ?
Also does anyone have any experience with any side affects using the LT-IVAX? Like everyone else my birds have had some respiratory issues from time to time, nothing serious ,but I’d like to know if this vaccine would cause some serious complications.
Thank y’all for your help and opinions!

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: LT vaccination program
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 11:15:42 PM »
If you want to vaccinate against ILT use LT-IVAX®.  It is important to only use a Tissue culture origin (TCO) ILT vaccine because they do not shed the virus...it won't go from bird to bird.  The Chicken embryo origin (CEO) vaccines are more powerful and can spread the virus. Vaccinate all chickens 4 weeks and older and then do it again in 6 weeks.  Do the whole flock each year.  It is administered via eye-drop or nostril.

Also check out this topic...http://ameraucanaalliance.org/forum/index.php?topic=820.msg5737#msg5737

Brad Stonebarger

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 09:18:06 AM »
Does anyone know anything about a product called INNOVAX-ILT? Apparently according to what I’ve read it is a Mareks and LT vaccine in one and is administered just like Mareks vaccine . It can be given to day olds. Only thing is it has to be stored in a nitrogen tank.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 11:35:04 AM »
Does anyone know anything about a product called INNOVAX-ILT? Apparently according to what I’ve read it is a Mareks and LT vaccine in one and is administered just like Mareks vaccine . It can be given to day olds. Only thing is it has to be stored in a nitrogen tank.

I have no experience with it, but I've read up on it and sounds like a good product for large commercial operations.  The extra safely concerns and hassle of dealing with liquid nitrogen would be enough for me to go with the two separate vaccines.

Brad Stonebarger

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 01:40:31 PM »
Oh it doesn’t sound that bad. Almost sounds like your AIing a cow. That’s not that bad. I’ll have to do more research on it.

I’d still like to know if anyone has experienced side affects of the LT-IVAX vaccine as it relates to anything other than just eye drainage. Anyone can contact me via phone or email or this forum.
My email is bcs74450@yahoo.com and my number is 9185778803 .

Thank y’all !

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 01:53:33 PM »
I have had no problem using the Ivax Lt vaccine.   I use the nostril method unless I can't get the bird to inhale, and then I put the drop in the open eye.  Mary usually helps by holding the birds for me, although I have little trouble doing it alone either.  Have never noticed any side effects. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 02:06:51 PM »
...I’d still like to know if anyone has experienced side affects of the LT-IVAX vaccine as it relates to anything other than just eye drainage...

I used it for years with no problems.

Brad Stonebarger

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 02:13:21 PM »
Well I appreciate the help Mike and John! I’m still thinking on it and doing more research.