Author Topic: ISO - splash bantams, please help  (Read 1727 times)

The Malcolms

• Associate
ISO - splash bantams, please help
« on: July 10, 2018, 03:32:39 PM »
Hello all. 
It sounds like several of you have had predator problems this year and we were not immune.  An unknown predator killed all of our white bantams and all of our blue and black bantams as well.  While we are mourning all of those the greatest losses were our sons' showmanship birds.  Walt's silver hen and Gus's splash hen (that he hatched) were in the blue pen for some outside time and killed when the whatever broke in.  This critter learned how to open the doors of our condos and get inside the actual house to massacre the birds at night.  We have shot 2 raccoons elsewhere on the farm but the live trap near the birds has still not caught anything.
We may or may not want to replace our blues and blacks but Gus would love to find 2 or 3 splash bantam pullets or hens.  He is looking for birds suitable for showmanship.  If you can help please let us know.  We can even arrange to pick up if you are within a day's drive or so.  He is desperate.
Thanks for you time, the Malcolm family

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: ISO - splash bantams, please help
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 09:02:05 AM »
Can't help with splash, but I expect to have a few good white bantams available at our national meet at the end of September.  They won't all be in show condition, as many have already been laying awhile, and they are in a pen where they can get stained by standing under the roosts.  But they are good stock, from a combination of Buske and Walchak ancestors.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

The Malcolms

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 08:59:50 PM »
Thank you so much for the offer Mike.  We are not sure if we can make nationals due to HS Homecoming.  Also some of our best birds were the ones lost.  We did get chicks from John but they may not be mature enough.  I will pass your kind offer along to the boys.  Thank you again!

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 09:10:32 AM »
I'm not sure when you would need them by, but I do have shipping boxes on hand.  It would have to be cooler weather, but it should be fine by September.
Mike Gilbert

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 02:47:11 AM »
Max Strawn has splash but I don't think bantams.  I got rid of splash and blues this past month.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 01:25:31 PM »
Max Strawn has splash but I don't think bantams.  I got rid of splash and blues this past month.
Sue it sounds like you are really serious about downsizing.   Curious as to what you decided to keep?    And I was wondering where you got the brown red large fowl from?     I really had good luck with them this year.   Some of the best color I ever hatched.  Of course there will always be color culls with this variety - and many other varieties not only in Ameraucanas but most breeds. 
Mike Gilbert

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 02:24:54 PM »
Hi Mike

I'm keeping white, black, buff, lavender and I believe a blue wheaten but the picture on the website for the male looks like the wheaten -- I can't see a difference there.  I got the blue wheaten and white from Neil Townsend.  I don't like the blue colour after all.  Once it gets older, and mine was 4 years old, it gets washed out.  I have Araucanas that had the same problem and I don't think they are worth the effort -- so they are out.  I got a Brown Red from Rev. Fegan as you remember at the last national, you let me get it.  Not sure that was a good thing as suddenly in June he got wry neck and I put him down and that ended the Brown Reds.  I am not sure I'm keeping the blacks to be honest but right now as they are the bulk of the Ams that would be work to get rid of so I guess I am.  All have to get the 45 tail angle that the APA now requires except I think a stray bird.