Author Topic: Good Report  (Read 1105 times)

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
Good Report
« on: July 31, 2018, 07:56:00 PM »
A few months back I mentioned that I gave a girl from my church a young 3mo or so BW Ameraucana and Welsummer pullet to raise up for Showmanship.  I'm pretty sure they were both the nicest birds I've ever had.  At least at that age.  Well, she just attended her first show and here's what her Mom just sent me:

Hannah took the birds to Silvana Fair today. I won't be at church tomorrow so wanted to let you know how they did. The Welsummer got a red. There was a white feather in her wing. After it was pointed out I remembered you telling us to watch for those. It has been removed. The Ameraucana won champion large bird, reserve best in show, and reserve overall champion. We go to Stanwood next weekend.

Now is that great or what?  I'm SO proud of her.  She's got another show this Friday and I'm hoping to get over to see her and the birds.  Then there's the big state fair in a few weeks.  Let's all root for Hannah and her BW!
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Good Report
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 08:07:31 AM »
Wow that is so awesome Royce, I love hearing these kind of stories. Tell her congratulations and job well done. With a win like that she must of put some time in conditioning the bird. Thanks for sharing it definitely put a smile on my face.
S.E. Michigan

Tailfeathers

• College
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 06:37:23 PM »
I will do that!  And, ya know, I probably shouldn't say this because it shows my mental deficiencies again but that prompts me to talk to her about the AA now.  I need to ask her if she's gonna stick with Ameraucana and, if so, I'll encourage her to join the AA.

Now, if'n she does, just don't y'all be going and trying to persuade her to leave the WBS for other varieties!   :P

(Btw, that reminds me, her grandma told me there were other Ameraucanas at the show too.  Of course, it was a country fair, and I wasn't there, and her grandma doesn't really know the breed, so I don't know if they were true or EEs.  Hope to get to the show tomorrow.)
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome

Tailfeathers

• College
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 01:51:57 AM »
Just got this update in this evening.  The Monroe Show is the biggest around here & I think in the State.  I have to ask but in the past it's always been an APA Sanctioned event too.

"Hi, Royce. I wanted to share with you how the chickens have done at the fair. Last week during the 4-H time, the Americauna won reserve large fowl. The Wellsummer placed low again. Tuesday started the open class part of the week. The Americauna won Best in Show! The Wellsummer received best of breed, reserve over all continentals, and a couple of others that Hannah couldn't remember! She is so excited. We are so thankful and blessed that you shared your birds with her. She is looking forward to next year and has learned so much. She is buying some sort of bantam from one of the other participants-I can't remember the name. "
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 08:55:11 AM »
Thanks for that great report Royce, and congratulations.   There is nothing quite so satisfying in this hobby as making kids smile.   Here is a pic of a boy I furnished 4-H birds to earlier this year.   His bantam Partridge Chantecler took Best of Show at our Lacrosse Interstate Fair.  In another county, a different boy took reserve of show with a Silver Laced Wyandotte bantam cockerel that came from here.   So I know the feeling.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Tailfeathers

• College
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 07:16:20 PM »
Thanks for that, Mike, and the pic.  You are spot on with there not being anything quite so satisfying.  The joy that young lady must've experienced when she took those awards just lights up my day.  And I appreciate the pic too.  I think I shall ask her to get all her awards together and have her mom take a pic of us with the bird.  I'm sure that will bring a little joy to my day every time I look at it.

I'm REALLY hoping she's caught the bug now and will want to get into breeding and showing the WBS on her own and stick with it through her young adult years.  If she does maybe she'll be able to take over my flock in a few years and keep it going too.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 02:32:01 PM »
Quote from: Royce
Hannah took the birds to Silvana Fair today. I won't be at church tomorrow so wanted to let you know how they did. The Welsummer got a red. There was a white feather in her wing. After it was pointed out I remembered you telling us to watch for those. It has been removed. The Ameraucana won champion large bird, reserve best in show, and reserve overall champion. We go to Stanwood next weekend.

That is great news Royce.  I'm very happy for you.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 04:26:19 PM by John W Blehm »