Author Topic: Poultry Press article August 2018, by Jensen Pierson  (Read 652 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Poultry Press article August 2018, by Jensen Pierson
« on: August 02, 2018, 02:34:59 PM »
I received my copy of the Poultry Press in the mail yesterday.  I took the time to read thru Jensen's article and felt it should be shared with those of you that may not subscribe or may have missed it.

When I was in 4H during my first 3 years I would pick a hatchery and order a trio of chicks of a different breed in each large fowl class. I knew I needed to experiment and find what type of chickens struck my fancy. I got Orpingtons, speckled Sussex, Jersey Giants, Buttercups, Leghorns, even Polish. Every year after the county fair I would go through my flock of 30 or so birds, cull the males of the breeds I did not care for, and send those hens to my laying flock. The birds I did like I kept back to show as hens and cocks the next year. It was in this way that I was able to quickly decide what breed I liked. That breed of course was an Easter Egger. Now keep in mind I was only 12 and didn’t know any better. When I tried to research the breed I learned much to my dismay that my easter egger was not a true breed and that the breed I wanted was an Ameraucana. To this day, since I was 13 I have always raised Ameraucanas.

Why Ameraucanas? When people ask me that, and the first thing that comes to mind is not to answer the question, but to file it in the back of my brain as a perfect showmanship question. Perhaps I am an odd person. Perhaps I have attended and participated in a few too many showmanship competitions. Either way I think that is a brilliant question to ask anyone. Why Ameraucanas? The same question could be said to an Orpington breeder, a Rare Buttercup breeder, even a Japanese Bantam breeder and we would all respond with similar answers. “Because we like the breed,” is an easy comeback.  “I raised this breed since I was a 4Her,” is a reply I myself can claim. Whatever the reason we all love our breeds deeply and we always have that one breed of poultry that speaks to us and always has a place in our flock. For me I can easily say that was the Ameraucana. I have tried many breeds over the past few years. It is not to say they were not lovely birds or good stock, but I found myself always going back to the Ameraucanas. This year I have learned the importance of focusing. I focus on just two breeds now, my Ameraucanas, and my Dorkings. To my surprise, I have not missed my other breeds of birds. Of course I have quite a menagerie in my laying flock, but there is something satisfying about seeing a pen full of your favorite breeds.

Sometimes I laugh at myself and think how I should have been more witty to these people and tell them, “why not Ameraucanas?” Sadly I am not as clever with my words as I would like. That being said, I challenge you to give Ameraucanas a try. If that doesn’t convince you let me respond to that question as a woman reliving her showmanship days. “The Ameraucanas are a breed revered for their robin blue eggs. In addition they are prolific layers and the males serve as meat birds due to their dual purpose classification. Furthermore, the Ameraucana is an attractive bird in the laying flock with their beard and muffs. It is an excellent breed for a youth who wishes to start a laying flock or exhibit birds. Lastly the birds are easily tamed and have a docile nature.” After that comment I would smile at the judge and proudly display my black Ameraucana hen and point out her good and bad points because that is the overachiever in me. Sadly as I write I am in the house with no bird in my lap to be able to tell you that part. I hope you find my argument convincing and give the Ameraucana a chance! If not, I understand, we all have that special breed in our hearts and sometimes our barn can only hold so much. If you would like to get into Ameraucanas I know a great group of folks ready and willing to help you out, including myself of course. The Ameraucana Alliance is nothing but an alliance of people seeking to improve this fine breed and I hope those interested will choose to be apart of it. As always it is my pleasure to write in the Poultry Press and I hope everyone has an excellent show season.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Poultry Press article August 2018, by Jensen Pierson
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 03:07:26 PM »
I received my copy of the P.Press several days ago and had read the article.   Good job Jensen!   Nice work.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
Re: Poultry Press article August 2018, by Jensen Pierson
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 06:30:34 PM »
After many years of looking forward to the PP I finally stopped my subscription at the end of this year.  So I am very thankful and grateful for you sharing that, John!

Very well-written and pleasing article to read.  Well done, Jensen!  Bravo Zulu!
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)