Author Topic: 2018 Ameraucana National Meet wrap-up  (Read 3342 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
2018 Ameraucana National Meet wrap-up
« on: September 30, 2018, 09:51:32 PM »
We had a great weekend in Portage, WI.  Just to get this started the top birds were...

Bantams
   White pullet, from a Young Trio, by Mike Gilbert - BV, BB, Champion AOCCL & Champion Ameraucana Overall!
   Buff pullet, by Bob Walchak - BV & Reserve of Breed!

Large Fowl
   Black cock, by Nate Rynish - BV, BB, Champion AOSB & Reserve Champion Ameraucana Overall!
   Black pullet, by John Blehm - RV, RB & Reserve Champion AOSB!

Members that attended our Saturday evening Ameraucana Banquet & annual meeting were, from left to right...
Jen Fegan, Jim Fegan, Jeff Sonsalla, John Blehm, Bob Rennolet, Russ Blair, Jacob Sonsalla, Bob Walchak, Marina Blair, Max Strawn, Mike Gilbert, Scott Lepak, Dave Blair & Anne Lepak.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:29:56 AM by John W Blehm »

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
Re: 2018 Ameraucana National Meet wrap-up
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 05:10:31 AM »
Congratulations to all of ya!  Wish I could've been there.  One of these days...

How were the WBS?
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 05:24:12 AM »
Here I am, living vicariously through you guys!!  Checking every little bit for pics and reports. Congratulation to all who made it Nationals, you are all winners in my eyes.

I love the group shot. I see a couple of handsome models in that bunch, too. Thanks to Mike Gilbert for his winning bid on the hat this year.

Looking forward to more pics and reports.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 08:42:01 AM »
Royce I do not believe there were any LF entered, but I will admit with only 3 officers attending I was extremely busy. I do know in Bantam Blue Wheaten there was a good showing with myself taking BV with a hen, RV with a pullet and Res Ch Bantam Ameraucana trio with an old trio. I truly am ashamed not to know the Wheaten Bantam places though  :-\
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 08:43:40 AM »
Thanks to Mike Gilbert for his winning bid on the hat this year.

Rebecca did a remarkable job with the beadwork on that cap, and I feel so fortunate to own it!   It is truly a collectors' item, so I plan to wear it very sparingly, probably only at our national meets.  Rebecca, thanks so very much for all the work and artistry that went into the project.  No photograph can do it justice.   You are very much appreciated.   

Mary has me scheduled up for most of the day, but I will try to get pics up tonight or tomorrow for sure. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 08:47:19 AM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 08:57:23 AM »
Royce I do not believe there were any LF entered, but I will admit with only 3 officers attending I was extremely busy. I do know in Bantam Blue Wheaten there was a good showing with myself taking BV with a hen, RV with a pullet and Res Ch Bantam Ameraucana trio with an old trio. I truly am ashamed not to know the Wheaten Bantam places though  :-\
If there were any large fowl wheaten and blue wheatens, I did not see them either, and certainly did not get any photos of them.  In the bantam Wheatens, Jeff Sonsalla had BV on a pullet and Bob Walchak had RV on an extra-nice cockerel from John Blehm chicks.   I don't remember a year when we had such a nice lineup of the wheaten and blue wheaten bantams.  Most of the bantam males were very clean hackled, the best line up of them that I can remember seeing.   There were even a couple of those in the silent auction.  The females almost all had excellent tail color.  The Wisconsin-shaped plaque that was given to commemorate our 40th anniversary as a club, however, was awarded to Bob Walchak's Silver pullet, another Blehm bird.   And I should mention that Bob's RB Buff pullet (and RV Buff cockerel in good competition) were also  Blehm hatched chicks.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:09:49 AM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 11:07:40 AM »
Thanks to Mike Gilbert for his winning bid on the hat this year.

Rebecca did a remarkable job with the beadwork on that cap, and I feel so fortunate to own it!   It is truly a collectors' item, so I plan to wear it very sparingly, probably only at our national meets.  Rebecca, thanks so very much for all the work and artistry that went into the project.  No photograph can do it justice.   You are very much appreciated.   

Mary has me scheduled up for most of the day, but I will try to get pics up tonight or tomorrow for sure.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 11:34:57 AM »
Russ Blair donated $277 to the Alliance from the silent auction he coordinated!  Thanks to Russ and all those that donated Ameraucana birds and related items for the auction.  Russ also donated $70 back to the Alliance from his winnings.
Mike Gilbert was the winning bidder on the Ameraucana beaded cap, donated by Becky Howie, adding $100 to our treasury!
Max Strawn donated $50 to the Alliance!  He and Twanya make the long trip from Texas...we missed them last year and it was great to see them again.
Many members donated various amounts of cash toward a large ad in the Poultry Press!  This definitely promotes our Ameraucanas and our Alliance.
Besides how generous members were with their pocketbooks and other donations, many were right there to help by donating their time at our meet.  Dave Blair spent a lot of time manning our club table, Anne Lepak, Scott Lepak, Jen Fegan & Jim Fegan judged the egg contest, Bob Rennolet helped put our ribbons and rosettes on the coops in junior competition - so no Jr exhibitor went home empty handed and I may have missed recognizing some, but I know they didn't do it just for recognition and will understand. 

And a few more photos...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 02:38:37 PM by John W Blehm »

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 06:10:32 PM »
Thanks to all who participated, volunteered, and donated to the AA Nationals. Sounds like it was a benchmark event for everyone and sets the stage for anticipation for next years National. 

A great group of Ameraucana enthusiasts, having a terrific time together and promoting the breed!!  Who could ask for more?

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 06:10:52 PM »
...The Wisconsin-shaped plaque that was given to commemorate our 40th anniversary as a club, however, was awarded to Bob Walchak's Silver pullet, another Blehm bird...

Also, 40th Anniversary commemorative rosettes were given to members that attended.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 06:15:17 PM by John W Blehm »

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 01:20:03 AM »
That is a remarkable job on that hat!!  I can only say it would've been one heckuvan auction if I'd been there!!  Mike, you know how I feel about the BWs!  And yes, I know you probably have a special place for them in your heart since you created them but still.

But I think the only way you'd have gotten me to stop bidding is if you came over and whispered "It's a bantam, Royce!"   :P  :o
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Patricia Schneider

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 10:35:11 AM »
I just wanted to say thank you again to everyone at the meet. We couldn’t have asked to hook up with a friendlier group of poultry people. John, Russ, Max, Bob and Mike patiently answered a lot of our questions. You were all willing to share your knowledge and made us feel welcome! I can’t tell you how much we are enjoying the new Wheaten bantams we got from Max and Tanya and the Lavenders from Russ (thank you, Jeff for transporting them!). These birds are just wonderful, as are the members we met from this forum! We’re so grateful we met you all.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:37:47 AM by Mike Gilbert »

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 06:53:53 PM »
I just wanted to say thank you again to everyone at the meet. We couldn’t have asked to hook up with a friendlier group of poultry people. John, Russ, Max, Bob and Mike patiently answered a lot of our questions. You were all willing to share your knowledge and made us feel welcome! I can’t tell you how much we are enjoying the new Wheaten bantams we got from Max and Tanya and the Lavenders from Russ (thank you, Jeff for transporting them!). These birds are just wonderful, as are the members we met from this forum! We’re so grateful we met you all.

Your participation in our Ameraucana Q&A was appreciated.  I know I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the meeting, without having any particular theme or topic that we were bound to stick to.  It allowed us to ask whatever questions we had and then answer and comment based on our experiences. 
Kaitlyn joined the Alliance later in the day.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:26:30 PM by John W Blehm »

Jeffrey Sonsalla

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 02:21:49 PM »
Jacob and I had a great time at the National in Portage. It was our first time attending a Ameraucana national as members although we have sent a few birds with Mike before. We would also like to thank everyone for instantly making us feel so welcome.

Jeff Sonsalla
Galesville, WI
Jeff Sonsalla

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 09:05:09 PM »
Jeff I am looking forward to seeing yourself and Jacob at many more in the future.
S.E. Michigan