Poll

PayPal can automatically send out yearly renewals.  It will not debit your a/c.  Should the club do this?

Yes
6 (75%)
No
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: October 22, 2018, 02:23:30 PM

Author Topic: automatic Paypal renews  (Read 2837 times)

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
automatic Paypal renews
« on: October 07, 2018, 02:23:30 PM »
The PayPal renewal would be of course only for yearlies and would bill just for one year at a time until you send a message to the Club that you are leaving.

Harry Shaffer

• Associate
Re: automatic Paypal renews
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 03:27:11 PM »
Not interested in Paypal to pay for my membership but other people would probably be very interested. 

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 03:28:51 PM »
Thanks Harry for the comment.  It allows me to clarify the issue.  PayPal would just be sending you a NOTICE, it would not automatically debit your account.

Dustin Bonner

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 03:34:25 PM »
Is there a downside? It’s just asking you to renew right? Is this an extra hassle for the club secretary? Or does this make their job easier? I guess to me, the importance is on ease of use for the secretary since they’re volunteering as it is.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 03:36:38 PM »
I know some clubs send out PayPal invoices near the end of each year to members that haven't renewed for the next year.  I've avoided the practice, unless a member requests an invoice.  Should members be automatically opted-in?  I've felt members shouldn't have to opt-out, but maybe it isn't a big deal to most.
My normal pratice is to include a dues reminder with our Winter Newsletter and then up to 2 emails before the end of the year to those that don't renew. 

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 03:39:09 PM »
Yes Dustin, it's just asking you to renew.  The downside is if you don't tell us you are not renewing it will send reminders until you tell us to drop you.  The upside is all for the Club.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 06:44:12 PM »
If you don't have a PayPal account, does it still notify you via email?
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Kara

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 08:18:18 PM »
Not sure how I feel about invoices. I'm happy to pay with Friends & Family so the club gets all the money. I hate giving PayPal fees, especially since they are in cahoots with HSUS now.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 08:20:03 PM »
What is HSUS?  And what's the link to F&F?

Kara

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 08:25:34 PM »
What is HSUS?  And what's the link to F&F?

HSUS is the Humane Society of the United States and they would have none of us owning chickens (or any animals). Friends and Family is a way of paying with PayPal, the club would keep all the funds, no fees are taken out.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 08:35:00 PM »
Not sure how I feel about invoices. I'm happy to pay with Friends & Family so the club gets all the money. I hate giving PayPal fees, especially since they are in cahoots with HSUS now.
Can you provide a link to Friends and Family please?
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Kara

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 09:00:46 PM »

Friends and Family is just another way to send money with PayPal, but no fees are taken out.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 10:41:28 PM »

Friends and Family is just another way to send money with PayPal, but no fees are taken out.

Right...it is still using PayPal.  It seems that all the BIG internet based businesses, like PayPal, Google, Facebook, etc. are pushing liberal agendas.  I also think it is only right to pay the fees when using a service, but I know some try to get around it. 
I don't believe a fee is charged when using our PayPal buttons on our Join page.  It really is the simplest and quickest way to pay and I encourage folks to consider paying for two or three years at a time, by clicking on the "\/" (down arrow) in the PayPal box to reveal the options.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 11:22:40 PM »
For those on GMAIL you can pay the Alliance for FREE...no fees either way.

https://support.google.com/pay/answer/7644136?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 08:15:36 AM »
I use PayPal a lot and am fine with it either way. Whatever makes it easier to manage is the key in my opinion. A 5 year button or even a Lifetime button would be nice on the membership page.