Author Topic: Poultry Press  (Read 1623 times)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Poultry Press
« on: October 30, 2018, 05:19:57 PM »
The report of our 2018 National Meet and some Ameraucana photos are in the November issue of Poultry Press.   You will find them scattered through pages 10 through 17.   I received my copy in today's mail.   Enjoy!
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Poultry Press
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 09:31:33 PM »
I just now went back and looked at the Ameraucana info in Poultry Press.   And discovered something not seen the first time through.   John - did you put that photo of yours truly in the ads, along with the information on page 11?   Russ, did you have a hand in that?   It's too much!  Whoever is responsible, I want to express my profound gratitude.    I'm very humbled and grateful.   Thank you so much.
Mike Gilbert

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 10:08:55 PM »
I just now went back and looked at the Ameraucana info in Poultry Press.   And discovered something not seen the first time through.   John - did you put that photo of yours truly in the ads, along with the information on page 11?   Russ, did you have a hand in that?   It's too much!  Whoever is responsible, I want to express my profound gratitude.    I'm very humbled and grateful.   Thank you so much.

I haven't gotten my copy yet, but the board approved it!  8)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:50:52 AM by John W Blehm »

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 10:46:27 PM »
Mike, it was well deserved and I look forward to seeing it in my issue. It truly was a no brainer when John brought the idea to the board. Congratulations again on your big win, and thank you for all you have done for our wonderful breed of Ameraucana. Oh and for taking the time to selflessly share all your wisdom to new comers like myself.
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 08:48:54 AM »
I can't thank you enough, but it was way beyond anything that was deserved.    Yesterday was certainly a red letter day for me - but I'm anxiously waiting for the other shoe to drop, as things tend to even out over time.    In addition to the Poultry Press ad, the mailbox contained a letter yesterday from the leader of the Wisconsin Junior Poultry Association.   Actually, it was written by Alliance member Kirstin Thompson's kids.   It seems they have nominated me for some kind of a statewide award, consisting of a full page of detail going back about ten years to when they first met me at a show.  I do not even remember half of what they wrote, but let's just say it brought tears to my eyes.   They are a great family with very supportive parents, and all three of the kids, Nathan, Lauren, and David are involved with the poultry hobby.  I am feeling so very blessed today. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 10:18:47 AM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 11:09:07 AM »
I can't thank you enough, but it was way beyond anything that was deserved.    Yesterday was certainly a red letter day for me - but I'm anxiously waiting for the other shoe to drop, as things tend to even out over time.    In addition to the Poultry Press ad, the mailbox contained a letter yesterday from the leader of the Wisconsin Junior Poultry Association.   Actually, it was written by Alliance member Kirstin Thompson's kids.   It seems they have nominated me for some kind of a statewide award, consisting of a full page of detail going back about ten years to when they first met me at a show.  I do not even remember half of what they wrote, but let's just say it brought tears to my eyes.   They are a great family with very supportive parents, and all three of the kids, Nathan, Lauren, and David are involved with the poultry hobby.  I am feeling so very blessed today.

We, Nathan, Lauren, and David Thompson,
2628 110th Avenue, Woodville, WI 54028 
wish to recognize Mike Gilbert, Holmen, WI
for extraordinary contributions to WI youth poultry, because:

About a decade ago, when we were debating whether to buy poultry or not, we met Mike Gilbert.  Our family decided to check out our very first poultry show. While there we walked around the cages, drooling over the beautiful birds.  In one aisle was a gentleman putting something on the combs of his birds. We didn’t have a clue what he could be doing, so we asked him. The man was Mr. Mike Gilbert and the beautiful birds that he was grooming were Ameraucanas.  He took a great deal of time to explain things to us like what he was doing and why. Looking back, now that we understand just how hectic show morning can be, we realize how extraordinary his patience with our simple questions and limited knowledge really was.  That was the first time we met Mike and our friendship has grown from there. He has been kind and generous to our family, always willing to help find just the right birds that we need to improve our flock. Mike has hauled birds for us from as far away as Ohio to give us the opportunity to breed the next generation better than the last.  He has been especially helpful to Lauren, getting her started with her flock of Chanteclers. She now raises several varieties of bantams and large fowl Chanteclers which wouldn’t have been possible without Mike’s guidance. He teaches by example by breeding, raising, and showing beautiful, well-conditioned birds. He is the true professional that we strive to be.
   Thank you, Mike, for being such a gentleman and the ideal role model for us. Your kindness, generosity, values, and dedication have helped shape us into the kids we are today and for that we will be forever thankful!

The letter is attached...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 06:11:24 PM by John W Blehm »

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 04:49:10 PM »
Wow what a great letter, I truly appreciate you sharing it with us all.
S.E. Michigan

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 08:25:48 PM »
I'd like to echo all those who've lauded Mike and his efforts.  They are certainly well deserved.  Congrats Mike on your big win at the show.  Personally, I just wanna add how pleasing it is to see someone who has stuck with a breed for so long.  That is a rarity these days and I fear the temptation for immediate gratification and "move on to something new" has taken hold of the Fancy as well and the appreciation and respect for folks like yourself who've stuck with a breed/variety has greatly been diminished.  So again, Bravo Zulu to you!

It's probably known by most, if not all, but since it wasn't specifically mentioned thus far, as a WBS LF Breeder I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Mike was instrumental in the development of our LF WBS as well.  If I remember correctly it was Mike's Bantam WBS that Wayne Meredith used to breed up and develop the LF WBS.

Lastly, wrt the WBS, did you all see the bantam BW pullet that Tiffany Johnston-Yoder posted on the AA FB page a few days ago?  Mike, if you see this, I'd love to get your thoughts on it.  Understanding that one can never judge Type from a pic and the tail perhaps being a tad high giving the appearance of a short back and sharper break in the topline as a result, I think that may well be the best looking BW I've ever seen.  Bantam or LF.  I realize the overall body color may be a little darker than preferred but still the uniformity throughout is quite impressive I think.  I can't imagine a reason why a bird like that would not be as competitive as a Black or White bird in the running for Best Of Show.

I'd really like to get your keen eye on that bird Mike as a tool I can use in the gauging of my LF as I move forward.  And I'd hope that bird and your feedback on it might be a motivator in encouraging and exhorting others breeding the LF WBS to get our birds to where that one is.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 08:43:37 PM »
I could not find that photo on the Alliance Facebook page.   Royce, do you know when it was posted?   If you can find it, maybe copy it and send it to me via email?    I'm not sure Ms. Yoder would approve of a public critique. 
Mike Gilbert

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 09:07:00 PM »
Will do!  Don't think there's much to critique though.  I truly think it's an impressive bird.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 08:33:14 AM »
Congratulations Mike! I feel blessed to have met you and will always be thankful for your help and guidance. Not just in the poultry world. ;)

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 11:46:59 AM »
What Max said. Exactly.

Well deserved, my friend!
Beth Curran