Author Topic: Bantam Black Breasted Red  (Read 1350 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Bantam Black Breasted Red
« on: July 10, 2018, 04:51:47 PM »
From some of my bantam outcrossings I've ended up with a few BB red pullets.  There may be some cockerels also, but since they are identical to wheaten males I figured all of them with that phenotype were wheatens and may have sold several as culls earlier in the season.  I would have to catch the several I saved and check their toe punchings to know their parentage.
A couple of the pullets appear to have a dilute gene, since they are extra light.  This may have been in the silvers and perhaps enhanced the silver/white color.  Maybe it also reduces or covers autosomal red in the silver males (?).  Anyway, the best pullet may be useful for someone to use with a silver male to produce silver pullets.  I could bring her to Portage...just let me know.
Also, If you have an interest in the best dark BB red pullet let me know. 
There are a coulple more like the ones in the photos, but they have darker heads and may carry charcoal (cha) or some other eumelanin enhancing gene. 

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
Re: Bantam Black Breasted Red
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 12:56:07 PM »
John are you pursuing BBred by any chance? That would be a fun color to see finished

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Bantam Black Breasted Red
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 03:24:37 PM »
John are you pursuing BBred by any chance? That would be a fun color to see finished

No and I didn't hear of any interest in them, so I sold them as butcher birds...I keep cutting back a little at a time.