Author Topic: Bantam Breeding Coops  (Read 5276 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Bantam Breeding Coops
« on: December 28, 2015, 11:44:22 AM »
Some of you remember the two new units I built, with help from my grandsons, last year.  They have 12 holes or coops each for bantams.  They are loosely based on the LF breeding coops I built a few years ago.  These units are 6' high, 2' deep and just over 7' long to fit against the wall, between the posts in my post (pole) barn.  The 1 by 2" welded wire gates slide up to allow for just enough room to reach in and collect eggs without giving a huge opening for flighty birds, like my Vorwerks, to fly out.  I used 1/8" by 2 1/2" flat steel across the fronts to hang feed and water cups on.  The lights are 2.5 watt "warm" LEDs.  The flooring is 1/2" treated plywood.  I have pullets in the top rows and cockerels in the bottom rows that visit the pullets a couple times each week.  I use PLASTIC EDGE PROTECTOR on the cut edges of the welded wire.  I added roosts in each coop using 5" 2 by 4 studs.
There is no blueprint, but the photos may give you ideas for a project.  Let me know if you want close-ups of any areas.
Note: Click on photos to enlarge and reduce them.  Use the slide bar, below the photos, to view the right side of the larger ones.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:11:58 AM by John W Blehm »

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Bantam Breeding Coops
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 01:38:19 PM »
Awesome, look like they would make great conditioning pens. After breeding season is over. Reminds me I need to get started on some as well.
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 01:43:19 PM »
John, any idea what your cost per hole amounted to?  I too think they would make good conditioning pens.   How is the ease of cleaning them out?
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 03:13:59 PM »
John, any idea what your cost per hole amounted to?  I too think they would make good conditioning pens.   How is the ease of cleaning them out?

Yes, I use them to condition birds before the show season also...maybe not as good as using wire exhibition coops.
I use a Plastic Feed Scoop to scoop out the wood shavings and manure.  It goes into pails and dumped out around trees.  There is very little bending and it is quick and easy, especially when I get a grandkid to do it.
I don't remember the cost.  The treated plywood is pricey, but worth it.  I would guess close to a couple hundred $ per 12 hole unit (?).  The LED lights were on clearance or they would have been costly.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 07:10:02 PM »
What type of treated plywood?  Pressure, water or something else.  Thanks.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 07:32:21 PM »
What type of treated plywood?  Pressure, water or something else.  Thanks.

Just pressure treated lumber that resists moisture.  It has a greenish color and we used to call it Wolmanized®, but that is a brand name.

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 03:43:47 AM »
John, What do you use to line the feeding holes? I cant figure what you're using. Its the blue plastic thing im talking about

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 09:19:52 AM »
S.E. Michigan

Janet Tipton

• Associate
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 04:40:05 PM »
Thank you.  What are the dimensions are your breeder pens if you won't mind me asking?

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:57:59 PM by John W Blehm »

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 05:03:30 PM »