Author Topic: Hatching Time Line for shows  (Read 1257 times)

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
Hatching Time Line for shows
« on: December 21, 2018, 12:02:16 PM »
So this is my first year hatching bantams (wheaten) is earlier the better when it comes to show purposes? There are some breeds you dont want to hatch too. Whats the prime age to be at during show season?

~Caesar

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Hatching Time Line for shows
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 10:56:05 PM »
Of course there are a lot of variables involved in my opinion. I mean different lines and varieties tend to take different times to grow and finish. Some lines and varieties mature a little earlier. From my experience your solid color varieties tend to finish faster than multicolored birds. Most bantams though I would try and plan them to be around 6 months old by show time. The real key I found is the closer to point of lay they are the better. So I recommend keeping track of your line and see how long it takes for them to reach the point of lay and then plan accordingly for any shows you may attend.
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Hatching Time Line for shows
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 11:43:23 AM »
Varieties and lines/strains are going to mature at somewhat different rates and feed and housing will play a part in it also.  Russ' 6 months is a good average and I've shown some as young as 5 months that were ready.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 11:49:29 AM by John W Blehm »