Author Topic: Ameraucana Egg Color Reference Chart now available online  (Read 70 times)

John W Blehm

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • Fowl Stuff
Ameraucana Egg Color Reference Chart now available online
« on: April 04, 2019, 03:11:03 PM »
Our Board of Directors has voted to include our Ameraucana Egg Color Reference Chart to our Downloads page for all to use.  I suggest you use a laser printer with photo paper, then compare the colors of your printed chart to the one on back of our 2018 Ameraucana Handbook for accuracy.  It matches the colors on the original chart, better than the last ones I had printed.  If you flip your paper over and upside down you can print two charts on one piece of paper.

Quote from: our Downloads page
...Individuals are given Personal Use Only of these documents and have free and unlicensed use, but only for non-commercial and non-profit uses.  You can make your own copies, but you cannot distribute them.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • Red Stag Acres
Re: Ameraucana Egg Color Reference Chart now available online
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 06:21:20 PM »
I brought the chart up on my desktop, and all the colors look somewhat faded to me.    Can't colors fade over time, especially when exposed to light?   Are you sure the one used for this was not faded?   Personally it makes no difference to me as I never use it, and I've not looked at mine in years.  But I'm wondering if we are putting the right stuff out there for beginners.   In principle its a good idea, as we are providing more value for the cost of dues, which can never hurt. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11,12

John W Blehm

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • Fowl Stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 06:51:49 PM »
I brought the chart up on my desktop, and all the colors look somewhat faded to me.    Can't colors fade over time, especially when exposed to light?   Are you sure the one used for this was not faded?   Personally it makes no difference to me as I never use it, and I've not looked at mine in years.  But I'm wondering if we are putting the right stuff out there for beginners.   In principle its a good idea, as we are providing more value for the cost of dues, which can never hurt.

I've personally never had a use for these egg color charts.  Different monitors and printers will show and print colors differently.  The one I provided a link to is the same one used on the back of our current Ameraucana Handbook.  The company that printed them came the closest I've seen to matching the colors on the original charts that Frank Decmar sent to me and I use to compare with. 
Just to try it out I printed one with my HP LaserJet Pro printer on HP glossy photo paper an the colors are off when compared to the one on the back page of our Handbook.  Maybe some can do better and maybe a jpeg file would be better, but all new members receive a Handbook with a very accurate egg chart and any member that didn't get the latest Handbook may purchase one for $4...that includes postage in Canada and the US.

John W Blehm

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • Fowl Stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 01:56:53 PM »
I do still have 4 of the charts left from the last printing for $2 each, includes postage in Canada and the US.  Proceeds go to the Alliance.  Email me is interested.