Author Topic: Brown red large fowl  (Read 4576 times)

Vidal Chavez

• Lifetime Member
Brown red large fowl
« on: April 16, 2015, 02:59:06 PM »
Hello,  Im lookig for a brown red large fowl cock.  Im located in San Martin CA. so he will have to be shipped. 
thanks
Vidal

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Brown red large fowl
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 03:03:58 PM »
Vidal, the best I could do would be a couple of young, started cockerels in a month or so.   Right now they are too young to select for coloring.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Vidal Chavez

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 06:30:38 PM »
Mike,  that would be great.  two pure Brown reds over my pure  brown red hens and whatever hens I get from my araucana/ameraucana cross will really move me forward.
Vidal

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 10:06:05 AM »
Mike,  that would be great.  two pure Brown reds over my pure  brown red hens and whatever hens I get from my araucana/ameraucana cross will really move me forward.
Vidal

Just wondering Why would you use araucana/ameraucana cross? araucana posses yellow skin and it can pop up down the line again. Can you post of pic of them :)

Vidal Chavez

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 03:53:08 PM »
I used an araucana male mostly because I know his lineage.. I bought a pair of "ameraucana" when I first moved here.  assuming that they were somewhat pure.  I hatched 2 sets of chicks from this rooster and I got a mix of genes that I for sure didnt want.  one of the pullest actually looked as if she had a small amount of polish.  I have been breeding my Araucanas for years. (10 plus years, they originally came from Nancy Utterbach)  and they are exactly what they should be.  I know yellow skin can be a problem but I also know that these 3 batches of chicks will all produce reliable results in the offspring.  Ill get pics of the chicks as they grow. 
heres the cross
blue rumpless double tufted araucana Cock x brown red ameraucana hen
 no tufts on any of the chicks. A few have small muffs.  All are either blue or black no splash.  and all have tails.

Lee M Hethcox

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 10:50:35 AM »
I know there aren't a lot of brown reds available from individual breeders. Mike, are there any smaller hatcheries that would have decent Ameraucanas, maybe not show quality, but of that color? I have a rather colorless flock at the moment.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 11:40:50 AM »
I know there aren't a lot of brown reds available from individual breeders. Mike, are there any smaller hatcheries that would have decent Ameraucanas, maybe not show quality, but of that color? I have a rather colorless flock at the moment.
Years ago my first bantam and large fowl brown reds came from my blacks unexpectedly.  I believe crossing a good one with a high quality black would produce some real nice brown reds within two or three years.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 01:38:37 PM »

I don't know of any hatcheries that offer brown reds.  I think they would tend to shy away from them since they don't breed all that true for coloring.  If you cross them to black, make sure the black has everything you could want, including egg color.   I tried it a few years ago and would never do it again, as it really set back my program.   My own fault for not toe punching which chicks came out of what.    A few years ago I saw a dandy little bantam brown red Ameraucana pullet at one of our area county fairs.   I tracked down the owner and tried to buy it to no avail.   I asked her where it came from and it was part of a shipment from one of the hatcheries in Missouri - Cackle I believe.  Luck of the draw I guess.  In this area the local papers often show first time 12 and 13 year old deer hunters with their bucks - huge racks, better than most experienced hunters have ever bagged. 
Mike Gilbert

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 10:12:55 PM »

I don't know of any hatcheries that offer brown reds.  I think they would tend to shy away from them since they don't breed all that true for coloring.  If you cross them to black, make sure the black has everything you could want, including egg color.   I tried it a few years ago and would never do it again, as it really set back my program.   My own fault for not toe punching which chicks came out of what.    A few years ago I saw a dandy little bantam brown red Ameraucana pullet at one of our area county fairs.   I tracked down the owner and tried to buy it to no avail.   I asked her where it came from and it was part of a shipment from one of the hatcheries in Missouri - Cackle I believe.  Luck of the draw I guess.  In this area the local papers often show first time 12 and 13 year old deer hunters with their bucks - huge racks, better than most experienced hunters have ever bagged.

Mike here is a video from Cackle hatchery breeding stock. It looks to me they use a lot of purebreds.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/page179.htm#video

Gregory Anderson

• Lifetime Member
Brown red large fowl
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 11:37:03 PM »
Does anyone have any brown red large fowl chicks (or eggs) left for this year?

Gregory Anderson

Gregory Anderson
Simple Truth Farm
Rhome TX

Galatians 6:14

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 09:29:46 PM »
Greg, my breeding pens have been broken up to make room for growing pens.   In fact, half of the breeding stock has been sold at this point.   Have lots of young ones and should have a few to share this fall. 
Mike Gilbert

Gregory Anderson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 05:06:34 PM »
Sounds good Mike, Keep me in mind!
Gregory Anderson
Simple Truth Farm
Rhome TX

Galatians 6:14

Vidal Chavez

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 07:11:13 PM »
Mike,  the birds I got from you are developing nicely.  Im so happy to have a few males once again.  Ill try to get some pics of them posted here soon.  they are still "akward"  looking teenagers.  but i know they will soon come into their own as your adults.  Actually I'm looking forward to possibly sharing some of this color variety with other members of the alliance.. of course that a bit of a ways off but its is in my "game plan" 
thanks again.