Author Topic: Hmmm... What's next?  (Read 940 times)

Michelle Muldowney-Stevens

• Associate
Hmmm... What's next?
« on: March 15, 2019, 04:30:10 PM »
We've been raising mainly black LF for the past few yrs and I've got the itch change things up and add something new.

Originally I was encouraged to go with a solid color because patterned colors are much more complicated and hard to nail (we learned that first hand with blues and lacing). We've also learned, since we started, that you can fit quite a few more bantams (our other breed is silkies) into the same amount of space and are much easier for us to contain for conditioning.

We've brought our black LFs down to a trio for breeding this yr. We've been frustrated with tail angle and pinched tails so we'll see what comes out this year.

If you were me, and had limited space for a new variety, what would you add? My kids are the ones that show them. I just love watching how our breeding choices, for better or worse, sculpt the look of our flock from yr to yr.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Hmmm... What's next?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 09:18:38 PM »
White or buff bantams would be my choice for kids.   Neither variety needs much work, and there is just enough challenge that the kids would feel a sense of accomplishment for having raised some winning birds. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 01:38:25 PM »
Those would be fun. I guess my daughter is still partial to blacks, too, so bantam blacks are an option, too. If anyone has some available to get us going, we’d be interested. :) Also open to bringing in a trio of LFs, too. We are planning to be at the CO and MT spring shows.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 04:01:23 PM »
I do have a black cockerel you could have for shipping cost.   He is pretty decent and a proven breeder, from Jeff Vance.   But the black pullets are too young to ship with the older male yet, and I can't spare any black hens. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 06:56:40 PM »
Very, very tempting. :) Does anyone else have a a few black hens or pullets to spare?