Author Topic: Vaccinating  (Read 1868 times)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Vaccinating
« on: April 18, 2019, 04:17:53 PM »
The Backyard Poultry Magazine has a good article on vaccinating poultry in the Spring 2019 Special Subscriber Issue.  It starts on page 44 and is written by Michelle Miller, who has a doctorate in Immunology and experience as a poultry vaccine research and development scientist.  She also keeps a backyard flock at her home in North Carolina.   I can't think of anyone with better qualifications to deal with the subject.   While it does not go into the risk of exposure from showing poultry, it does deal with questions like, "What if I already have birds that are not vaccinated, and are introducing vaccinated birds to the flock?" and "Will vaccines make my birds sick?"   It's a short article, but a good read.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Janie Vila

• Administrator
  • Associate
Re: Vaccinating
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 05:02:47 PM »
Mike, does she note which vaccinations she uses? For what diseases? Have any of you used any of these vaccines?

Janie

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 05:47:32 PM »
I have used the following vaccines:   Marek's, Newcastle/Bronchitis, Laryngotracheitis, and Coryza.   
Mike Gilbert

Janie Vila

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 08:51:12 PM »
Did you find them to be effective? If i am going to get serious about showing my birds, i want to do the best i can. Mareks is one i am not worried about vaccinating for. Where is a good place to find the vaccines?

Thanks!!

Janie

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 01:28:56 PM »
Did you find them to be effective? If i am going to get serious about showing my birds, i want to do the best i can. Mareks is one i am not worried about vaccinating for. Where is a good place to find the vaccines?
Thanks!! Janie

Here is the source I use.  I have found Victor very good to deal with.   If you have questions just call and talk to him. 
  https://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=46
Mike Gilbert

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 01:41:14 PM »

And here is another source I have used.   https://www.poultrysupplies.com/index_files/Page398.htm
Mike Gilbert

Janie Vila

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 06:52:20 PM »
Thank you Mike.
Merry Christmas !!

Janie

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 01:15:01 PM »
Depending upon your Tractor Supply they have them too.  If not in the store you can order online and ship to the store for free.  I have never had to do the latter because I know the manager and just tell her "we need some."  Most stores are quite obliging.