Author Topic: Power failure 😩😩  (Read 7164 times)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Power failure 😩😩
« on: April 18, 2015, 11:04:28 AM »
Ok so yesterday my eldest son cut his thumb off, and while I was at the hospital the surge protector tripped or we lost power??? Well my big question is the incubator was at 77 degrees by the time I got home and noticed it. Anyone experience anything like this and what was the results? Did it cost you the whole hatch, I got it up and running asap but am a little worried. Almost 300 eggs are in it and I really want to puke right now.
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Power failure 😩😩
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 11:32:28 AM »
Were they able to save it...reattach?
If the incubator gets too hot it is worse than too cool for a few hours.
http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_temp.html
Although it is not recommended, slightly lower temperatures will not kill the chick embryos, but can increase incubation times and produce weakened chicks.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 12:48:18 PM »
Yes they reattached it at University of Michigan. 5 hr surgery and they are not sure how much if any function he will have with it. They are keeping him a few days to keep an eye on how it heals. It's now up to Father Time and the healing powers of Jesus 😃. Oh and thanks I thought I heard that before but was not quit sure. I just set a shelf 2 days ago I am most worried about. First shelf should hatch this week so time will tell there also 😃
S.E. Michigan

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 12:49:52 PM »
Oh I will also be ordering an alarm, should of done that first. Live and learn right?
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 01:18:53 PM »
Oh I will also be ordering an alarm, should of done that first. Live and learn right?
I couple years ago we lost power 3 different times when I had about 1,000 eggs in the incubators.  I had to use my little portable 3,500 watt generator to keep them going.  That is when I become determined to install an automatic backup generator.  Last fall I did.  It is 20,000 watts and we installed a 500 gallon LP tank dedicated to it.  It wasn't cheap, but I did the wiring myself and that saved some on the total cost.  It is good to know it is there and ready to go if and when needed.  ;) 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 08:48:34 AM by John W Blehm »

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 03:34:44 PM »
It happened to me last week, I accidentally pulled the cord off the wall when I was trying to move it on the counter. Temp got around 75  and the humidity increased as well. The eggs where like that for about 8-12 hours.  I had 18 LF Ameracuanas eggs and about a dozen bantam rocks eggs about a couple weeks into the incubation. I didnt loose any of the AM eggs and lost 1-2 bantam rock eggs.

I did have a handful of other LF/bantam eggs that were 4 days from hatching. I lost 2 LF eggs and 1 bantam. I did notice that they hatched out late, they hatched on the 23rd and 24th day. I never had eggs hatch that far past the 21 days.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 04:20:01 PM »
Hi  Russ, My brother in law in October had the same issue though he also lost a few fingers.  the doctors did a good job with the reattachment but the big  thing that helped him was PT.  Have they set that up for your son?  I am sorry to hear your bad news and pray that everything will be good. As for the hatch, I think too low is better than too high and I think 75 is good,  I've read that under 60 is the problem.

Best Regards

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 11:41:14 AM »
Glad to hear the good reports on possible hatches. As for my son doctor came in this morning and was pleased how well it's healing. He was also impressed with how much feeling he has in it as of now 😃
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 11:47:11 AM »
Great news Russ!   How old is your son and how did it happen?   You don't need to respond, I was just curious.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 10:33:53 PM »
Great news if he has feeling in it already...I cut my thumb pretty badly, not THAT bad, and getting the damaged nerves to grow back was the longest rehab...I lost power for 18 hours during our Ice storm last year, but did not lose my hatch..didn't notice a difference really...all the best to your son and you..

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 03:05:18 AM »
God's speed to a full recovery.  Ironically, I had to go to the hospital last week for the first time in about 15yrs to get a tetanus shot after stabbing myself on a piece of hardware cloth while replacing the bottom of a brooder.  And I thought that was a big deal.  My goodness, I sure hope it all goes well for him!!

Several years ago I lost power in May for 3dys while the temps were in the 50's.  Of course I had an incubator full of eggs.  I took the trays out and put the inside a sleeping bag rated at 10 below or so.  Once power was restored I put the eggs back in and as I recall had a really good hatch.  Three days late if I remember right but a good hatch overall.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 12:42:27 PM »
Mike he is 24 years old, and he was driving T-Post. His grandpa had a pipe with the end weld he was using. Of course there were no handles and he went a little high and his thumb was in the wrong spot at the wrong time 😖. The only thing that kept it attached was a 3/8 piece of skin. Luckily he didn't freak out and was able to drive himself up to the house. Hopefully he will be getting released tomorrow or Wednesday. He still will have a bunch of physical therapy but hopefully he will regain the use of it 😃
S.E. Michigan

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 06:46:47 PM »
Great news all around, first and foremost my son is released from the Hospital 😃. Secondly I have a bunch of chicks pipped and a half dozen already hatched from the unfortunate power failure. Praise be to Jesus for blessing me with both these miracles 😃😃😃😃😃😀
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 10:13:34 PM »
Great news Russ.   Thanks for sharing.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 11:20:57 PM »
Good to see Russ those sad eyes turn to a happy dance.