Author Topic: Show training area  (Read 1274 times)

Lindsay Helton

Show training area
« on: April 30, 2019, 10:52:27 AM »
We have spent portions of the past two weeks converting one of our barn stalls into a show training area. I repurposed some pet crates that I bought on clearance a while back and my husband built frames for the bottom of them. They open from the end as well as the side and have a divider for the middle. Now I just need to cut out sections for the feeders/waterers. I would like to have some wooden crates made eventually to hopefully prevent feather damage, but for the limited time and cost involved, these will have to do for now! I can now show train up to 20 large fowl pullets/hens at one time, or up to 10 large fowl cockerels/cockbirds. Making progress....Yay! :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 11:41:09 AM by Lindsay Helton »

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Show training area
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 05:50:28 PM »
Very nice.   I would try to get all of them up to the level of coops at a regular show instead of having some at ground level, as it will make a difference to the chickens which angle they see you at.   And it will make things easier for you not having to bend over or kneel down. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Lindsay Helton

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 09:13:31 PM »
Very nice.   I would try to get all of them up to the level of coops at a regular show instead of having some at ground level, as it will make a difference to the chickens which angle they see you at.   And it will make things easier for you not having to bend over or kneel down.

Thanks Mike! I’d love to add some tables to the area within the next year. I’ve been watching for some to buy secondhand.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 04:20:24 PM »
Saw horses and a sheet of plywood work great, that's what I have mine on
S.E. Michigan