Author Topic: Primary Feather Issue  (Read 1789 times)

Michelle Muldowney-Stevens

• Associate
Primary Feather Issue
« on: September 15, 2019, 03:27:08 PM »
Going over birds today and I noticed that this pullet has odd separating of barbs on her primaries. Does this look like a genetic issue or condition issue?

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Re: Primary Feather Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »
Well here is an article on SPLIT Wing.  Look at the shots and determine if that's what you have. 

https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-breeding/recessive-genes-faults/

Sue

Michelle Muldowney-Stevens

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 07:15:04 PM »
No, it’s not split wing. It’s the individual barbs on certain feathers that are separated.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 07:27:25 PM »
That's good to know.  I figured I was wrong.  I said this once before and Jim Fegan told me the same.  I don't remember his recommendation offhand.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 07:28:37 PM »
Like a bad penny, I have a new recommendation....

https://www.featherfolio.com/blog/how-to-fix-a-tattered-frayed-feather

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 08:48:38 AM »
Going over birds today and I noticed that this pullet has odd separating of barbs on her primaries. Does this look like a genetic issue or condition issue?

I have seen this a number of time over the years and always culled the bird in question.   I considered it a genetic issue, possibly from being too closely inbred.   If it is genetic it must be recessive, as I never use birds with that condition as breeders.   Other possibilities, I suppose, could be feather mites or nutritional issues.   But unless someone has other evidence, I consider it genetic.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Dawnalysce Clifford

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 11:16:38 AM »
Could it be the hen just doesn't care for her feathers?  Can you smooth them out so they look normal or do they seem to twist coming off the rachis? If they twist, that's probably genetic.