Author Topic: 40th anniversary of ABA recognition of bantam wheaten & white Ameraucanas, 2020  (Read 2278 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
At our Ameraucana Eastern National Mike Gilbert brought up the idea of doing something special in 2020 as we celebrate the 40th anniversary of the 1st official recognition of Ameraucana chickens by the ABA.  I appointed Russ Blair, Janie Vilá, Mike and myself as a committee to explore ideas.  Russ designated $725 from his silent auction to be used for this project.  Please use this forum topic to give your input or contact the committee members.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
I can get two-color coffee cups with the Alliance logo on one side and the specific award on the other for about $12 to $13 each.   Or 6" by 8" solid wood plaques in walnut, oak, or cherry for about $30.   I like the cherry wood, and will have one with me for the CFI National at Fowlfest this weekend.    These would be done locally and I would bring them with me to the show.   There may be better stuff out there, but I'm just throwing this out as a conversation starter.  BTW, the operator of the shop where I get these is interested in getting some pure Ameraucanas.   Right now he has easter eggers and a few other breeds as a utility layer flock.   He can also do T-Shirts, ribbons, and a host of other awards.  I do like to do business locally when it is possible.  I'm hoping others will chime in here with what they would like to see for awards.   If I don't respond right away it's because I'm at the University of Wisconsin Hospital transplant clinic, where we bring Mary's disabled niece once a year for her kidney transplant check up.  The clinic has a couple of desktops available for visitors to use.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:16:29 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
I know you already have more coasters than you'll ever use, but the 4" Corian "mint ice" colored laser engraved coasters were classy awards.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:39:15 PM by John W Blehm »

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
I know already have more coasters than you'll ever use, but the 4" Corian "mint ice" colored laser engraved coasters were classy awards.

I get those made locally as well from a different vendor.
Mike Gilbert

Stan Alder

• Associate
how is it determined who wins the awards?

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Stan, these would be specific awards for like ch Ameraucana overall, BB, possibly Ch Trio or even like special award for white and wheaten bantam (being the original varieties 40th anniversary).
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
how is it determined who wins the awards?

It could be done many different ways and more ways than one.  Maybe every member attending could receive a commemorative keepsake and also some or all winners could receive special awards.  Since bantam wheatens and whites where the two varieties the ABA recognized way back then, maybe they should be the only wins to receive the specials or maybe just something extra special.  For now these are just ideas for the committee to contemplate.
Please chime in with your ideas.

Janie Vila

• Administrator
  • Associate
I have had an idea rolling around in my head for quite a while.
Egg cups would be interesting. Either ceramic or a nice metal.
Also, i was walking through pier one imports and spotted some nice stainlees steel stemless wine glasses on clearance.  They would be beautiful engraved.
I also know a potter (cough cough) that has been dying to contribute a trophy.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
I have had an idea rolling around in my head for quite a while.
Egg cups would be interesting. Either ceramic or a nice metal.
Also, i was walking through pier one imports and spotted some nice stainlees steel stemless wine glasses on clearance.  They would be beautiful engraved.
I also know a potter (cough cough) that has been dying to contribute a trophy.

Good ideas.   Do you know someone who engraves glass?
Mike Gilbert

Janie Vila

• Administrator
  • Associate
I don't.  However that does not mean i can not find someone. I can reach out to some of the dog show people i know.

Janie

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
I think a custom pottery award would be great! 

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Something that could be practical for some of us and promotional for the Alliance would be customized decks of cards.  There are a few companies that manufacture them in the US.  Below is just a quick mockup of a card back with our logo.  Fronts can also be customized.  I would suggest not dating them by including any 40th anniversary text or dates.  A deck could be given to each Alliance members that attends one our both of our 2020 national meets as keepsakes and extras could be sold. 
We could still do something special, like trophies, on top of that for say best and reserve bantam wheatens and whites.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Which National Meet will these awards be offered at?  Or will there be awards at both?
Mike Gilbert

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Which National Meet will these awards be offered at?  Or will there be awards at both?

A deck could be given to each Alliance member that attends one our both of our 2020 national meets as keepsakes and extras could be sold. 

Janet Tipton

• Associate
I would definitely like to see something made available to members that are unable to attend either National.  I have both these varieties but have conflicting shows that I am attending on both weekends so will be unable to attend either one.