Author Topic: Custom made incubators  (Read 18104 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Custom made incubators
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 10:13:10 PM »
I have a Sportsman 1502 and for the past 2yrs I've had to close up most of the holes in the back to keep the humidity at 50 or slightly above.  Got to thinking and I think the problem started after I took the back off and cleaned it real good.  So, do you know if there is a way to slow the fan down?  I'm wondering what would happen if I'd put a piece of tape or something on the blades?  Would that work and, if so, would I be running the risk of burning up the engine or something?

I don't think you would want to slow the fan down and I believe the newest 1502s have two fans for more circulation and I assume a more even temperature throughout the cabinet.  The old 1202s had more and bigger vent holes in the back of the cabinets.  I'm sure they've figured out they didn't require that much air exchange, plus it made it hard to keep the humidity up.  If you feel you don't have enough oxygen in the incubator with the vents closed you can vent your room to have more fresh air come in.  If you open the incubator vents more you can also add one or two wicks to the water tray to increase humidity. 
If the seal/gasket around the back piece, that you removed to clean the incubator, was damaged you may have air leaking in and/or out there.  Maybe buy a new seal and turn the back into a hinged door for easy cleanout.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 01:03:14 PM »
These four units replaced the GQF and Leahy incubators
Hi John,  Wasn't buying parts more expensive than getting the actual unit?  I haven't seen parts be cheaper than the whole since the 90's.
thanks.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 01:58:09 PM »
These four units replaced the GQF and Leahy incubators
Hi John,  Wasn't buying parts more expensive than getting the actual unit?  I haven't seen parts be cheaper than the whole since the 90's.
thanks.

Keep in mind I didn't buy all the pieces/parts to build a Dicky or GQF incubators.  That would have cost more than buying one assembled.  I did buy some of their same parts, since they were readily available and right for the job.  In the end the cost of materials was a bit cheaper than buying a new Dicky or GQF cabinet incubator, but these have much more capacity for the money and I believe better quality.     

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 05:39:37 PM »
Thanks, John.  I've got socks plugging up the holes in the back and just one of the slide vents barely open.   That being said, I think they're still getting enough fresh air because I'm not experiencing any quitters to speak of.  I've also added one wick to the tray and just replaced it yesterday because it was smelling moldy.  Just hate to use the wicks because they're so expensive.  I'll leave the fan alone though.  Thanks again.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 06:55:07 PM »
Thanks, John.  I've got socks plugging up the holes in the back and just one of the slide vents barely open.   That being said, I think they're still getting enough fresh air because I'm not experiencing any quitters to speak of.  I've also added one wick to the tray and just replaced it yesterday because it was smelling moldy.  Just hate to use the wicks because they're so expensive.  I'll leave the fan alone though.  Thanks again.

Old socks make good wicks too.  I've set a small wood dowel or whatever works across the top of the water pans and draped on old sock or other cotton cloth over it with the ends in the water.  ;)
Also, I use City Water in my incubators.  I contains some chlorine and doesn't leave the residue in the pans and on the float valves that my well water would.

Tailfeathers

• College
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
Thank you John!!  I'm gonna try both those.  I've got plenty of old socks and I put bleach in the waterers outside to keep the slime and algae outta then.  I'm gonna add some bleach to the water pan and reservoir and see how that works! Thanks again.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 10:22:19 PM »
Keep in mind I didn't buy all the pieces/parts to build a Dicky or GQF incubators.  That would have cost more than buying one assembled.   

Ok, that's makes sense, you harvested what you had and bought what you needed.  I don't have anything but a Hovabator so I'm looking for a Sears Woodie.    Everytime I find one, someone has already beat me to it, so it's been a long search.

Tailfeathers

• College
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 02:08:21 AM »
Put a sock in, John.  Working like a charm!  Had to open all the vents now.  I like that a lot better because no doubt there's better circulation now.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 12:10:03 AM »
I was looking at the Dickey incubator, it uses a regular Hovabator Wafer (on/off) thermostat.  I would have thought it uses your proportional herpostat.  Does any manufacturer?  Thanks.

http://dickeyincubators.com/partslist.htm

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 05:10:41 AM »
You can also get the electronic thermostat with the wafer as a back up in the dickey. Which is the one I would recommend, mine holds amazingly steady with only a couple tenths of degree fluctuations. Same with the humidity, it varies a percent or two at times but holds steady around 45%.
S.E. Michigan

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 12:42:32 PM »
Thanks Russ, I see that listed as the 76.95 kit opposed to the Complete Wafer Kit for 24.95.  They have a lot of options, I guess I need to call to figure it all out. 

Best Regards

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 02:44:13 PM »
They are very nice and helpful from my experience dealing with them. I had it in 3 days from when I ordered it, and saved a couple hundred from what a GQF sportsman cost also.
S.E. Michigan