Author Topic: How to obtain sponsors for and or how to grow a local club.  (Read 979 times)

Janie Vila

• Administrator
  • Associate
How to obtain sponsors for and or how to grow a local club.
« on: October 24, 2019, 12:38:34 PM »
Hi everyone!

I hope everyone is home and settled in after the national meets. I also hope this is the right place to post this. If not, i will move it.
The Virginia Poultry Breeders Association is now a disfunct club. So as of now there are no closer shows for us southern folks to attend in our direct area.
However a group of us are forming a club called Old Dominion Poultry Association.  I think i have that right.
At any rate, it will offer us opportunities to host shows, educational seminars and mentorship.
I have been tasked with obtaining information on sponsors, such as purina etc.
If anyone has any helpful information it would be great!
You can message me here or email me directly. I would love to see some ameraucana meets down our way even if Russ is not bringing his 25 birds.  ;D
Janievila@hotmail.com
Thanks everyone!

Janie

Steve Neumann

• Associate
Re: How to obtain sponsors for and or how to grow a local club.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 05:36:09 PM »
I don't have any advice to offer, but I wish you and your fellow fanciers the best of luck with your new club.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 06:39:08 PM »
I was show superintendent for our local show for 6 years, as I recall, starting in 2005.  The guy that was in charge for many years died and the club was struggling.  We had meetings and elections and at first I and others thought that was the way to go to get it back on track.  I changed my mind eventually and found that most members won't get involved and you really need one or a few go-getters to take charge and get things done.  Our club was "THE BAY CITY POULTRY CLUB" and our show was "THE MIDWEST ROUNDUP", Where the East Meets the West with the Best!  I moved it from a county fairgrounds to an event center, near an expressway.  We changed the club's name to MICHIGAN POULTRY FANCIERS to make it more inclusive/regional sounding and came up with FOWL FEST for our show's name that fit in with many of the other annual "Fests" at the new location.  I met with resistance from some members that didn't like changes, but I pushed thru several others that brought the show back to life. 
Find out what works and doesn't at other shows and learn from their mistakes and experiences.  Find the few dedicated members that will setup and take down and plead with others to help.  I'm not saying you need a dictator, but someone with organizational skills should be in charge and given some leeway to get the job done.
My wife isn't into poultry, but she worked with me to obtain many local sponsors.  We had a Title Sponsor and included their business name in our show's name (Grandpa Tiny's Frankenmuth Fowl Fest) and spelled it all out in all signage, press releases and advertising.  We also had a Best of Breed sponsor, several Best of Variety Sponsors and even a Fowl Fest Friends sponsorship level.  Some sponsors didn't pay any $...we did barters for feed, shavings, etc. 
Just a bunch of ideas to give you some ideas.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 06:44:40 PM by John W Blehm »

Janie Vila

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 05:53:12 PM »
Wow!! That is a lot of great information!! I work at tractor supply sooo... i have a form to send to them for sponsorship.  We have a show chair, a press committee and i used Russell's idea of the silent auction and came up with enough money to actually get the legal paperwork and incorporation done through the IRS etc... thanks for that idea Russ!
Thank you again John. I know quite a few people in the community that could possibly help us out.

Janie