Author Topic: Ameraucana Standard weights  (Read 1378 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Ameraucana Standard weights
« on: November 22, 2019, 02:18:59 PM »
I keep the "standard" weights posted in my chicken barn and also next to electronic scale, in my hatchery area, were I weigh birds.  I know we can go +/- 20% on weight before a bird is disqualified, but there are also "defects" for birds being too much under or over weight.  I know judges aren't going to weigh my birds at a show, but I try to breed as close to the standard as I can so I do this for my own satisfaction. 
I've taken the time to update my weights poster/sign and include minimum and maximum weights in parenthesis, using the APA defect and disqualification figures for my limits.  I've always known it is better for a bantam to be undersized and a large fowl to be oversized, but these numbers show how true that is.  Please check my math and let me know of errors.

Ameraucana APA Standard Weights
*Disqualified if more than 20% over or under weight

>   Cock (C) = a male one year old or more
>   Cockerel (K) = a male less than a year old
>   Hen (H) = a female one year old or more
>   Pullet (P) = a female less than a year old

Bantam
Cut Points for Defects:
1 point for each 2 oz. under standard
½ point for each oz. over standard

Cock       30 oz./1.875 lbs. (1.75 - 2 lbs.)
Hen        26 oz./1.625 lbs. (1.5 - 1.75 lbs.)
Cockerel  26 oz./1.625 lbs. (1.5 - 1.75 lbs.)
Pullet      24 oz./1.5 lbs. (1.38 - 1.63 lbs.)

Large Fowl
Cut Points for Defects:
Males 2 points for 1st lbs. under & 2 points for each ½ lbs. thereafter.
Females 1 point for each ¼ lbs. underweight.
Males & females, no cut for 1st lbs. over.  2 points for each additional lbs.

Cock           6½ lbs. (5.5 - 8.13* lbs.)
Hen            5½ lbs. (5.25 - 6.88* lbs.)
Cockerel     5½ lbs. (4.5 - 6.88* lbs.)
Pullet         4½ lbs. (4.25 - 5.63* lbs.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 02:36:48 PM by John W Blehm »

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
Re: Ameraucana Standard weights
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 11:31:40 AM »
I wish judges would weigh them. There are some AMs that ive seen that are the size of heavy American breeds. Every time I see a huge AM, I know its going to be best of breed even before the show starts. Sure enough Im always right. I wonder if its a western trend.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 03:16:00 PM »
I wish judges would weigh them. There are some AMs that ive seen that are the size of heavy American breeds. Every time I see a huge AM, I know its going to be best of breed even before the show starts. Sure enough Im always right. I wonder if its a western trend.

I know some fanciers are crossbreeding Australorps (and other breeds) with their black Ameracuanas.  These people are out of their league when it comes to breeding and even though some licensed judges place these crossed birds high at shows it must be the judges don't have enough experience around the real thing.  Weight wise the birds could still be within limits, but I've seen how extra fluffy they are and lack Ameraucana type.  It is true I used Australorps decades ago to create LF black Ameraucanas, but there has been no reason to crossbreed them for many years with quality Ameraucanas out there to out cross (not the same as crossbreeding) with for improvement.  It took a long time to lose the brown egg genes from the original Australorp crosses and these folks are going backwards.  Good bay eye color will also be diminished. 

I also have reasons to believe some have recently crossbred buff Orpingtons to LF buff Ameraucanas.  Here again it is true that I used Orpingtons decades ago to create LF buff Ameraucanas, but to crossbreed them today is a step in the wrong direction.  The Orpingtons are way too fluffy, lay brown eggs and mask slate shanks.  It took many years to try to overcome those traits and some are still problems today.  I've seen recent photos of LF buffs that lack Ameraucana type and appear more Orpington than they should and I've heard from a friend that he disposed of the LF buff Ameraucana flock he recently obtained because they started laying brown eggs!   

Buying "standard" Ameraucanas may not always be the same as "show quality", when you have some inexperienced judges that pick what tickles their fancy and fanciers that are more interested in breeding and exhibiting birds judges will pick than what the standard dictates. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 03:29:57 PM by John W Blehm »

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 01:18:22 PM »
I wonder if its a western trend.
No.  It's quite common in the east as well.  The weighing issue came up on the APA list one day and late Standards Judge said, and many judges agreed, they are "supposed" to weigh them by hand.  While that is probably true, I think some don't care, or don't know the Ameraucana standard and just "average" what they think it should be.But large LF Ams are king in the East.  You are not alone Cesar.